Beta In Charge

RAVEN

Almost a month had passed since my brother and Alexia left on their honeymoon.

Of course we were all happy for them, but of course my wolf and I were ready for them to come back already so we could selfishly have our mate back.

Of course with Royce's absence from the pack, they then looks to Ryland for leadership and guidance, and thankfully Charles stepped in as acting Beta to help pick up some of the slack.

Between meetings with the War Dogs, pack patrols, one on ones with disgruntled or concerned pack members, the opening of his garage, and constant visits to families with newly shifted members I felt like I couldn't find any real time with him.

Even at home when it's just us (I had essentially moved in with him into the apartment since before the wedding), either I have homework or he has pack work.

The office was currently littered with blue prints for a museum the RWBD )Retired Weres of Blood Dawn) were petitioning to have constructed, a new wing of the hospital that the hospital needed but didn't have all of the funding for, and various other projects that pack members needed approved before having zoning clearances done.

Someone new that also became quickly fmailiar is Nolan, he is a War Dog, more so he is Ryland's attorney.

It wasn't unusal to walk into our apartment only to find a small note from Ryland saying the three of them were in the War Room...our newly converted basement.

And today was no different.

"Freckles." I sounded as I walked down into the basement.

As I reached the bottom of the stairs I found the three familair faces and Ryland walked over and kissed me, "You alright Princess?"

I nodded and then greeted the other two men.

"Did you forget?" I asked him as clearly he had forgotten.

He looked at me and tilted his head slightly, something he does when he's thinking, it's adorable and always reminds me of a puppy.

"We made plans for dinner." He smiled.

I smiled "No, but i'm going to hold you that now."

He pulled his brows together, "Did we discuss anything this morning?"

I shook my head, "We're suppose to pick up my brother and Sister in law from the airport today."

"Shit...I'm sorry Raven I did forget." He admitted before turning back to Charles and Nolan but holding my hand now, indicating he didn't want me to feel left out. "Even with Royce coming back I don't want to overwhelm him with everything at once...we can finish up with all of the zoning commisioned projects."

"And Nolan and I can manage patrols for this week." Charles said and Ryland nodded.

"We do need to inform him of the bigger projects that need his and the Luna's approval, as well as the newly shifted members...I have a list of everyone on my laptop upstairs, as well as a stack of applications from others seeking to become Blood Dawn members."

"Wait people acutally appy to join the pack like they'd apply for a job?" I asked a little humored.

"Not quite as scrupulous." Nolan confessed to me with a slight smirk. "It's mostly just a written request but we do have to do our work and investigate why they're wanting to leave their previous pack and ensure they aren't bannished, blacklisted, or rouges."

Sounded serious.

"Also, don't forget that in a few days just as the pack is getting ready to have our Alpha back...we actually have to take off to the States for my brothers wedding." My Mate spoke up.

"Who is going to take care of the pack while we're all gone?" I asked worried, I didn't want anything to happen to the pack while we were gone.

"No worries Ray." Nolan spoke up once again, "The War Dogs and I will handle everything.

"And my Father is stepping back into the Alpha Role until we return." Charles put in with a smile that suggested I needed to calm down.

"Well I'm glad to hear it." I said genuinely glad.

I left the men alone to wrap everything all up, I went back up to the apartment and got out of my uniform ready to have my brother and sister in law back, but more so, my Mate.

Soon they all rejoined me upstairs, Nolan printed out the lists he mentioned in the War Room and shortly afte rthey both left.

Ryalnd ushered me out of our apartment and we were finally in his car, I grabbed his hand and he smiled at me before leaning over to kiss me properly since we were alone for the first time in a long time.

Undistracted now and full of love I knew my mate was missing us too.

_____

I sat next to Ryland and I could feel how nervous he was, of course he attempted to assure me he is fine.

But every since the plane had taken off and we were offically on our way to Black Creek he had been a ball of nerves.

I tried my best to comfort him as best I could but nothing seemed to be working.

As soon as the seatbelt sign turned off I unbuckled and nestled my body against his.

"I wish you felt comfortable enough to tell me what is bothering you Freckles."

He offered me a weak smile and shook his head, "It's just...I always feel like a failure compared to my brother, and I've always felt like he doesn't acknowledge me as his brother...I don't know, it's hard to explain..." He sighed