Chapter 4 - Settling In

It took more than one trip to get all the stuff from the car, the last being the large box of the unassembled futon which required both of them to carry. It was already past 1pm when they finally got everything, save the futon, unpacked. Rachel fixed sandwiches and carrot sticks for a late lunch.

She handed one of the new cups to Karson.

"Give this a try."

The cup had a special lid that snapped onto the rim that resembled an open-ended spout. Karson filled it with water, and took a sip as he tipped the spout into his muzzle. It fit the shape of his mouth perfectly without spilling a drop.

"Excellent," he said with a smile.

He joined her at the table, cup clutched in his hands. She noted that he was happy, even after the incidents of the morning. They made small talk as they finished the luncheon, and Rachel asked Karson to describe some of the things he did when he lived with his former tenants. He mentioned that he used to read when he was not busy with Kara, and that he did a lot of housework.

"I can do the housework here too, if you would like?"

"We'll see," she replied noncommittally.

"What did you do for fun? Surely they let you have some fun every now and then?"

He smiled and his ears perked up.

"Yes, there was one thing. Kara bought me a kite and we went out to her ranch to fly it in the spring. It was so much fun!"

His tail wagged at the memory and Rachel giggled.

"Wow, a kite! I haven't had one of those since I was a kid. There's a park down by the river that's perfect for that. I'll look into it."

She stood up from the table.

"You want to help me put together that futon?"

He nodded and followed down the hall to the spare bedroom. This was Rachel's unofficial office, which consisted of: a computer desk and chair, a terminal, a metal shelf with various office components, and a small TV. The rest of the room was empty space, with a small coat closet in the corner. The pair pushed the futon box to the middle of the room.

"I guess this will sort of be your room now, if you don't mind my computer junk staying in here?"

"M-my room? I get to have my own room?"

Karson was surprised and could not hide his disbelief. He looked at the blank walls and the computer desk in wonder.

"I do not know what to say. I have never had my own room."

Rachel tried to stifle her giggle at his shocked reaction.

"Sure, why not? You're my roommate now."

She tapped her chin as she pretended to ponder a thought.

"Although, it might be nice to just have you sleep at the foot of my bed..."

Karson's ears drooped slightly but he gave another of his formal replies.

"Of course, Rachel. Whatever you decide is sufficient for my needs."

She poked him in the shoulder.

"Karson, that was a joke."

A relieved expression washed over his face.

Rachel smirked at him.

"Thought I was really pulling your tail for a minute huh?"

He smiled.