Chapter 12 - A New Journey Begins

Karson straightened his tie for the third time in as many minutes.

Bobby stifled a giggle and leaned over to his friend.

"Are you okay, brother?"

He was a bundle of nervous energy as his ears could not decide whether to lay back or perk up, and his tail reflexively curled between his legs.

"I am fine."

Bobby raised his eyebrow as if to question his statement.

Karson took a deep breath and exhaled slowly.

"Everything is fine, I can do this."

Bobby gave him a small pat on the back and took his former position.

Suddenly the organ came to life and Molly appeared at the threshold of the cathedral. She looked lovely in her cream colored dress and held a large bouquet of white and red roses. Karson heard Bobby's soft gasp at seeing his wife walk up the aisle.

The old church was not full, but held enough familiar and friendly faces to generate a joyful atmosphere. Molly smiled at everyone as she walked up the handful of steps to the altar. She briefly leaned in to Karson and kissed his cheek, and quickly grasped Bobby's hand for a quick squeeze before she stepped to the other side of the altar.

The organ changed its cadence and everyone turned to await the appearance of the bride. Karson felt his heart pound in his chest as Rachel appeared at the archway. The amassed gathering murmured their approval as she slowly marched down the aisle. The cream dress she wore made her glow with radiance.

The gown was a simple design with modest shoulder ruffles and a sweeping skirt that trailed behind her. The veil did little to hide the sparkle in her eyes, and Rachel nodded to several people as she passed them.

At first Karson struggled to regulate his breathing when Rachel appeared, but with every step she took closer his nervousness melted away and left him with nothing but his pride and compassion for the woman he was about to wed. She briefly squeezed Bobby's hand.

"You look lovely, Rachel," he whispered.

She winked and turned to Molly to squeeze her hand as well.

Molly was already shedding quiet tears of joy.

Rachel then turned to face Karson. She could see the happiness in his eyes as his ears perked up, and also noticed that his tail wagged merrily. He slowly reached up and pulled back the veil.

"Hi Kuddles," she said in the softest whisper.

He smiled and winked back at her.

The minister, who also happened to be the same one from Molly and Bobby's wedding, held his hands wide and began the ceremony. He made a brief statement about the meaning of marriage and what the union symbolized.

"Now, it is time for the vows. These two have chosen to say their own vows, so I leave it to you. Karson, would you please give your vow to Rachel."

The Companion nodded and took each of her hands, looking deep into her eyes. For a few seconds the world disappeared, but Bobby cleared his throat and brought Karson back to the present.

"Lovely, radiant Rachel; I could not be standing here today, if not for your love and compassion. Every passing day is a gift I will forever treasure, and I wish to give you all my days from now unto forever in return. You are the pillar upon which I stand so high, offering its unwavering support. You are my guiding light that brings me home to the harbor of your loving embrace. I pledge my dedication and devotion to you for the rest of my life. I would offer my love as well, but you already possess it. I love you Rachel, now and always."