Chapter 3 - Special Order

During Karson's lunchtime chat with Rachel the next day, it seemed that she had mostly returned to her normal self. She still avoided discussing exactly that was troubling her, but Karson let the matter lie in favor of not upsetting her further. He suggested that they have dinner at the Bulldog that evening and Rachel agreed. Since he was already scheduled to work, he would simply wait for her arrival.

Karson reached a decision as he lie awake the previous night. The time had come for him to finally set his plan in motion. He left for work shortly after finishing the luncheon chat in order to visit Franklin Jewelers and pick out a ring for Rachel. Through his frequent conversations with his best friend Bobby, he discovered all the necessary details needed to order a custom ring.

A $500 deposit was required and Karson double checked to confirm that he had his bank card and ID with him. When he arrived at the jeweler 90 minutes later, he was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by the store owner, Gerald Franklin. The elderly, white-haired gentleman held the door open for Karson.

"Come in, come in! Pleasant day outside isn't it?"

"Yes it is thank you. I was told you make custom rings here?"

"Indeed we do sir. I'm Gerald Franklin and this is my shop. What type of ring did you have in mind? Come over to the counter and I can show you what I mean."

Gerald ushered Karson through the small store to the rear counter. A wide array of rings was displayed beneath the glass counter-top and the jeweler pointed at a few.

"Would this be something you were looking for?"

Karson's brow creased as he scrutinized the rings. He could not help fixating on the price tags attached to the beautiful rings.

"I uh...how should I put this?"

The Companion fidgeted with his hands and his ears drooped as he tried to think of a way not to offend the shop owner at his lack of funds.

Gerald Franklin had seen all manner of customers in his 50 years of service, and knew exactly what was on Karson's mind. The fact that Karson was a Companion made little difference to the jeweler; he saw in Karson the chance to provide a symbol to be cherished, full of meaning and significance. His face creased in a smile and he laid his hand on Karson's arm in a fatherly way.

"Don't worry son, I'm sure we can find something within your means."

The Companion relaxed visibly and cleared his throat.

"I was referred to you by another Companion, perhaps you might remember? A beagle about my age, he came here several months ago-"

"Oh, you know Bobby?"

Karson was surprised and wondered if everyone knew Bobby.

"Yes, exactly. He said he got a custom ring from you."

"Ah, yes...beautiful setting in that one, simple but elegant. That boy has excellent taste!"

Karson smiled at the jeweler.

"Yes, he does."

Gerald narrowed his gaze as the pieces fell into place.

"What's your girl's name?"

"Rachel," Karson said softly.

The jeweler pulled out a notepad and started making sketches.

"Can you tell me a little about her?"

The Companion pondered a moment at the simple question.

"I hardly know where to begin. Rachel is the light of my life. She is what makes life worth living."