Chapter 4 - New Developments

Rachel awoke quickly when Karson shook her shoulder.

"I'm up! What's the matter?"

She rubbed her eyes and sat up.

Karson sat next to her and smiled.

"Relax Rachel, nothing is wrong. I just thought you might like some breakfast?"

It took her a moment to realize there was a tray loaded with eggs, bacon and last night's biscuits. Karson held a glass of orange juice for her.

"Thank you!"

She gladly took the glass and sipped it as he pulled the tray closer. Karson picked up a piece of bacon and nibbled on it, while Rachel reached for a biscuit.

"What time is it?"

"A little after 9. I woke up early, so I let you sleep. I had a nice chat with your Mom; she is such a character."

He chewed another bite of bacon.

Rachel scooped some eggs up in her biscuit, and mumbled around her food.

"Yeah, that's Mom all right. Anything interesting come up?"

"Oh, just the usual chit chat. I told her I would email a copy of the article I wrote last month for the newspaper."

"Cool."

A short while later, Rachel sat at the kitchen table with her mother and Karson. They were engaged in a game of Cribbage as Vanessa related a tale of her youth.

"That was actually how I met your father, I believe. If I hadn't borrowed the car from my friend, I never would've had to pull into that used car lot for help with the flat tire. Funny how things work out."

"Fascinating," Karson replied.

"Let's see, that's fourteen points for me and the win. Sorry kids, guess I got lucky three games in a row!"

Vanessa laughed at Rachel's sour expression.

Karson turned his cards in and tickled her under the chin.

"She never likes it when I beat her either."

Rachel poked her tongue out at him before she joined in the laughter. They were clearing the board and boxing the cards when Gary walked into the kitchen.

"Karson, would you mind joining me out back for a minute?"

The Companion stood immediately.

"Yes, of course Gary."

Rachel looked after him as he left the room behind her father. She turned to her mother with a questioning look.

"I'm sure your father just wants to have a private chat. You know how he gets when it comes to you."

Rachel sighed in exasperation.

"Great, now Dad is probably going to scare the pants off Karson."

She suddenly looked depressed and worried for the Companion.

"You worry too much, Rach. You have to be willing to let him stand on his own. You can't always be there to help him up and dust him off if he falls down. He has to learn how to do that for himself. Trust me."

Rachel stared off into the next room.

"I know, Mom."

She suddenly turned back to her mother.

"Wait a minute, did he tell you about yesterday?"

Vanessa nodded in response.

Rachel sat in stunned silence for a moment.