Chapter 9 - Union

Days passed in a flash as Karson and Rachel went through their routine. He wrote during the day, did his chores, and got used to working at The Grinning Bulldog. Molly and Bobby were of course happy to see him frequently, and somehow the three of them managed to keep Karson's part time job a secret from Rachel.

After the second day on the job, Karson explained to Molly about shopping for skates for transportation, and right then and there she gave him an advance to cover the cost. She insisted that he order the skates and send them to the bar, and two days later they were waiting for him when he arrived at work.

Since he only worked three days a week at the Bulldog, he figured he was making about $75 a payday. Molly paid him in cash every Friday and it was not long before Karson opened a savings account at a local bank, now that banks were legally obligated to accept Companion customers.

Life continued at a happy pace for Karson. Rachel helped Molly plan the wedding ceremony and reception, and the two often asked the opinion of their Companion counterparts when it came to food, clothing or flowers. As the date approached, Karson saw Bobby become nervous and anxious. During work one afternoon, he sat down with his friend.

"Is everything okay Bobby? You seem on edge lately?"

Bobby sipped his glass of water. He had cut back on his drinking recently, and it did not escape Karson's notice.

"Aye, but I'm okay. I just can hardly believe it's actually going to happen! I had dreamed of the day when I could call Molly my wife, and now...well, it's like a dream come true."

Karson smiled at his friend.

"I know what you mean. I am so very happy for both of you."

"Speaking of which, let me show you something."

Bobby reached into his pocket and pulled out a tiny clam shell box.

Karson's eyes lit up when Bobby popped open the lid and showed the ring he intended to give Molly.

"Cast your peepers on that!"

The ring was a thin titanium band overlaid with an intertwining Celtic weave pattern; in the center was an embedded diamond stud.

Karson tentatively reached for the ring.

"May I?"

Bobby nodded and let him pick up the ring. Karson held it in the light and it sparkled brilliantly. He also noticed the inscription inside the band: Love always, BB. Karson placed it carefully back in the box.

"It is a lovely ring for a lovely bride."

Bobby beamed at his friend.

"Thanks mate."

He quickly stuffed the box back in his pocket.

"I'm going to show Molly tonight. I know she does not let on, but I can tell she is nervous since it took me so long to get the ring."

"Where did you get it?"

"There's a place about 2 miles from here, Franklin Jewelers. I had them make this specially for me, so it's a one of a kind just like Molly!"

Karson giggled.

"How poetic."

He made a mental note of where the jeweler was for future reference.

As Karson prepared dinner later that evening, Rachel answered the phone and squealed.

"Really? Tell me all about it!"

She winked at Karson and ran into the bedroom. He shook his head with a grin and continued dinner, having already guessed who called.

Rachel returned to the kitchen a short while later as Karson waited on the casserole in the oven to finish. She stood next to him and planted a kiss on his cheek. He could tell she wanted to share her news and prompted her.