Chapter Three: Gasping For Breath

Todoroki sighed as he met eyes with Bakugou. It would be just the two of them today looking for (Y/n). Kirishima had managed to get himself sick and couldn't join them today. It wasn't quite awkward, but it was close. (Y/n) was close to all of them, so was Kirishima. Bakugou was close with Kirishima and (Y/n), and Todoroki was the same. The two of them didn't really hang out on their own, so they didn't exactly know each other as well as they thought they did.

"So, where do you think we should start today?" Bakugou asked.

"I..." Todoroki trailed off for a moment, trying to remember what he was going to say, "I was wondering if you'd be okay with just stopping at one place and then calling it a day."

"As much as I don't want to agree, it looks like it might rain later, so sure," Bakugou huffed. 

All three of them were beginning to give up a little. The three of them had been fortunate to run into him at the start of their search, but they hadn't seen him since then. It was like he was a ghost, he was there, but he just passed through the nearest thing and disappeared. It was killing them, especially Todoroki. He didn't realize how much loved (Y/n) until they got together, and he didn't realize how much he needed him until he wasn't there.

"I have a spare key to his old apartment," Todoroki foretold, "if it's still vacant we should stop by and see if he left anything."

"Cliché, but we're running out of options," Bakugou nodded.

It took the explosive villain stating it, but Todoroki realized that now too. They had run into (Y/n) several weeks ago. He went cold when he realized another couple of months had gone by. He felt sick to his stomach when he realized just how long it had been. There was the time when they were still with the League of Villains right after (Y/n) left, and now there's the time they've been searching. Three and a half months.

Todoroki froze. What was his status with (Y/n) at this point? Were they still lovers— hell, were they even friends? It seemed like the former leader of their group barely considered them acquaintances. It hurt Todoroki to think that they might as well be strangers. (Y/n) had seen them, fought beside them, and didn't come for them even when they proved they were still there— they were still his team.

"What's up with that face?" Bakugou questioned. 

Todoroki gave him a surprised look, Katsuki cares? "What look?"

"You look like you've suddenly been hit by a fucking bus," Bakugou stated calmly.

"Gee, thanks Katsuki," Todoroki sighed, "but I'm fine."

"Bull shit," Bakugou responded, "you had that same look come over your stupid face when we saw (Y/n) a month and a half ago."

"Oh," Todoroki looked at the ground, should I tell him?

"Spill," Bakugou basically ordered.

Here goes nothing, "(Y/n) and I are— were? (Y/n) and I were in a relationship when he left."

"So that's why he came out," it was more of a statement than a question, "he wanted to test the waters before you dived in. Sounds like him."

"Yeah, and he just left," Todoroki sighed, "I don't know where we stand or what his thoughts are, and it's killing me."

"You're a fucking moron, you know that, right?" Bakugou asked.

"What?" How to make someone feel better 101...

"(Y/n) spoke to you last before he officially disappeared, and his intentions are pretty goddamn obvious," Todoroki gave Bakugou a blank look. The blond groaned, "He did it you protect, but especially to protect you. He still loves you, that's why he didn't jump to bring us into his mess after we bumped into him. He's holding onto the hope that he can keep you safe because he cares about you as more than a friend now."