Chapter Six: Distance

Todoroki pitied (Y/n). He'd seen the little bits of grief the male had gone through since he came out of his shock, and it left Todoroki concerned. It almost seemed like he was recovering too quickly. Of course, Todoroki was glad the (Y/n)'s spirits were rising again, but he'd never seen someone get over the death of a parental figure so quickly.

What frightened the tall male the most, though, was the lack of denial over anything. Denial was one of the most common things, but (Y/n) hadn't even protested the idea. He couldn't help but wonder what was going through the shorter male's head at every moment now. Normally, Todoroki could at least get a grasp of what his lover was thinking. This, though? He hadn't had any luck yet.

It was the worst when they were trying to sleep. (Y/n) tossed and turned and curled in on himself, away from Todoroki. He also said things that made Todoroki's heart clench as he stared at the ceiling on most nights. What tore him up the most, though, were the barely uttered words that Todoroki couldn't understand.

When he awoke, (Y/n) acted perfectly fine, as if nothing had happened. Todoroki was the only one who had noticed as well. (Y/n) hadn't really been eating, he went out alone more, and as of the past couple of days, he didn't return until after midnight. Todoroki understood when he was pretending in order to be a slight pillar for Bakugou and Kirishima, but they had mended. (Y/n) had no known reason to keep his act up. Todoroki couldn't take it at the moment; he needed fresh air.

The tall male slipped out of bed, grabbing a pair of slip-ons from his closet before heading for the front door. When he felt the dry night air on his face he sighed deeply, staring down the street.

He was tired. Emotionally more so compared to anything. Todoroki thought back to that night so long ago. If he could have a do-over, would he follow (Y/n) again? His first thought was, of course, but he was second-guessing it. He loved (Y/n) and wanted to be by his side, but... was all the pain the smaller male caused him worth it? Was losing so many friendships that could have lasted a lifetime worth it? Was being responsible for the deaths of former friends worth it?

This wasn't a good time for this. Todoroki picked up the pace. He needed to get rid of the energy he had at the moment. I can't think these things if I'm too tired to.

Picking up the pace quickly became running, then full out sprinting.

"Don't run away from your problems, Shouto! Only cowards do that, and I did not raise a coward!"

· · ·

(Y/n) couldn't sleep anymore. It was late, he was exhausted, it was, too. Yet, he couldn't find it in himself to slumber.

It was cold. Much too cold. (Y/n) uncurled himself and turned over. Todoroki wasn't there. He thought that his lover had just gone to get water or go to the bathroom, but... Their bedroom door was open, and a pair of shoes was missing from the rack in the closet.

Then he heard the front door close.

It stung.

· · ·

"Hey, (Y/n)!" Kirishima called from the kitchen, "can you come here? I need your opinion on something before you head out for the day."

Reluctantly, (Y/n) responded, "Sure. You can go ahead, Shouto. I'll catch up."

He rarely calls him his actual name nowadays.

Todoroki didn't respond, stepping out the front door alone for the fourth time this week. Bakugou grumbled at the sight from his seat on the couch. He was sick of seeing whatever was going on between them, and as much as he hated to fault (Y/n), he knew that it wasn't Todoroki's doing. He stood and joined Kirishima and (Y/n) in the kitchen.

"What did you need? Are you trying out a new juicing combination of something?" (Y/n) asked.

"Dude, you can't really be that dense." Kirishima crossed his arms. "What's going on with you and Shou?"

(Y/n) looked taken aback. "Since when do you call him 'Shou'?"

"Since when do you not?" Bakugou interrupted, "because that's way more fucking noticeable than what Eijiro did."

(Y/n) didn't respond. He didn't want to talk about this right now. He wished he could leave, but Bakugou wouldn't just let him pass. Using his quirk would make the situation seem worse, so he couldn't do that. (Y/n) sighed, leaning on the counter.

"Katsuki's right, y' know... You and Shouto seem to be going through a rough patch, and you need to fix it, quickly," Kirishima said.

"That's rich coming from you," (Y/n) snapped.

"Maybe," Bakugou grumbled, "but this is actually effecting Half 'n Half. You didn't see his stupid face when he left."

"Yeah man. You guys don't seem as close as usual right now."

"As if," (Y/n) dismissed, "everything is fine."

"You guys went to bed separately last night. And the night before that," Kirishima pointed out, "when was the last time you made the coffee for him?"

"Did you guys manage to fucking fight or something?" The blond didn't get an answer. "Is it about Aizawa? Because if it is then you're being an absolute moron."

"Don't you think I know that?" (Y/n) hissed. There was his answer.

"If you know that then why haven't you fixed it?" Kirishima questioned, "if this is a form of anger, don't take it out on him. Shouto didn't do anything wrong."

"I know that. I know, okay?" (Y/n) snarled. His tone quickly lost its bite. "He walked out two a couple of nights ago. Then he did it again. He's not in bed with me when I wake up anymore."

"He finishes sleeping on the couch after his runs, (Y/n)," Kirishima sighed. "I went on one with him when I heard him up and about last night, and I couldn't keep up. He sprints for a long time, then conks out on the couch."

"I asked him about it yesterday morning," Bakugou stated, "you're making him feel like a shitty nuisance, and he tires himself out so that he can't fucking think about it."

(Y/n) was silent.

"Dude, fix this." Kirishima uncrossed his arms and place a hand of (Y/n)'s shoulder. "you've hurt him enough before this."

· · ·

"Shouto? It's been a while. What's up?" Dabi asked.

"Can I stay here for a couple of days? I'll explain later."

"What the hell, sure."

· · ·

This distance is killing me.

(Haha... so... yeah... I had to add more angst/drama because I'm me. I also forgot the name of the arc and what it's for, so yeah, way to go me! Anyway, comment, vote, and even follow me if you enjoyed the chapter please! [Shameless Self-Promotion Ahead!] while you're waiting for the next update, go read my other stories! If you like this story, I would recommend 'Monster' in particular! If you're in more of a fluffy mood, though, my story L+L is good vibes only!)

(This Was 1172 Words!)

(Extra:)

"Hey, you're (Y/n), right? My name's Todoroki Shouto, and it's a pleasure to meet you."