{ 11 | Colton }

The weather was beginning to get cooler as the leaves started to turn from green to yellow. They were falling off the trees, leaving bare branches. That could only mean one thing: fall was beginning, which meant the season was too. 

I pulled on my jersey and slipped on my cleats. I tied them tight, making sure they wouldn't come loose while I was running. I looked around and saw that my teammates were still getting ready, so I got off the bench and began to sprint. I turned when I reached the end of the field and sprinted back. I then jumped up a few times, getting my body warm. I was more than ready for the game. It would be the first of many wins. I was ready.

We did our usual stretches and warm-up, wanting to prevent any injuries. It felt like a regular practice, just one that would end with a game against another school instead of each other. We put away all our practice gear, knowing that the game would begin soon, very soon.

"Alright boys." Coach called out. We all jogged up in a group, ready to listen to what he had to say. "Go out there and play just like we practiced. Follow my plays and we will win. Oh, and Ashwood, no showing off."

"Alright." I said. I prevented myself from an eye roll. That would definitely bench me. As much as I liked being my cocky self, I knew when to let it show and when to be a team player. Today had to be one of my team days.

"Cardinals on three." Justin shouted once Coach was done with his speech. "One! Two. Three!"

"Cardinals!" We heard each other say. We all then dispersed, taking the field. Our opposing team was doing the same. We were taking on the University of San Francisco Dons. It would be a nice warm up for the rest of the season.

The game then began. The ball would be passed from one player to other until the opposing team managed to steal it. It was competitive, but boring, since no one was able to keep it long enough to get a goal. I stood near the goal, waiting for some action. All of a sudden, one of the guys on our the team got the ball and began to kick it up the field. He then passed it over to Justin. I watched as he struggled to get away from his defender before shooting the ball. It flew across the field, landing at my feet. I smirked as I saw who I was up against. I was at least four inches taller and had more muscle. This was going to be a piece of cake.

"Come and get it." I taunted. The guy growled, charging at me. I kicked the ball back and forth before faking a turn, going in the opposite direction. The crowd went wild. I then moved up the field, being in shooting range. I saw no one wide open. "I'm so getting yelled at." I mumbled. I took a deep breath and dodged another player. I then kicked the ball, seeing it fly by the goalie's head. It flew into the goal.

"Stanford goal!" The announcer said. The crowd cheered. I laughed, basking in the glory. I turned towards the crowd, searching for a familiar face. Usually it was full of girls who only came for me. I let out a chuckle as I saw Reagan. Even after two weeks of ignoring her, she's still here drooling over me. I don't understand why she isn't understanding that we're done. 

"Dude, coach doesn't know whether to be angry or proud." Wes said jogging over. I laughed. That's how it usually was. I was about to reply to him when I saw that he wasn't looking at me anymore. I followed his line of vision. He was looking up at the crowd. I froze when I saw who he was waving at.

Faith and Alyson were at the bottom of the bleachers. They were wearing red t-shirts, cheering us on. I hadn't seen Alyson since we "made up" if that's what you call it. But, the one I felt myself drawn to was Faith. I hadn't seen her since the party, which was my fault.

I felt happy that next day but then Justin asked me if I was ready, him meaning for lunch, but my brain just couldn't decide if I was ready for Faith. I had fun with her, teaching her how to live, but something burned within me. I couldn't explain it, so instead of deciphering it, I rejected it. I stopped talking to her. Whenever i'd see her, i'd go the other way. I even stopped going through the lobby in the morning. I knew she'd be there reading. I'd go through the stairs behind the building. I just didn't want to have to explain myself why I was being so distant when I didn't even know. I focused on soccer, not wanting to look for the answer.