{ 34 | Faith }

It finally smelled like home. Stepping off that plane, I knew that everything was finally working out for the better. I was extremely excited to finally see my mom. The cookies she had sent through text looked amazing and my mouth was watering for them. I didn't even care that Colton was scolding me for powering my phone back on. I deserved to see those cookies.

My mom always baked during this time. She'd make cinnamon rolls, cookies, pies, and occasionally a Yule log. It was usually just for us, but every once in a while she'd make some for Aly's family. They loved receiving her desserts as much as she liked baking them.

Speaking of Aly, she had been freaking out about bringing Wes home. After confessing their love for each other, Aly sputtered out that he had to meet her family. Wes was shocked but after coming back to reality, he agreed. He loved the girl so why not.

Aly was going crazy about bringing him to Bluebell because she wasn't sure if her parents would like him. I tried to get her to calm down and focus on the holiday spirit, but secretly, I was freaking out too. I was bringing my own boyfriend home to my hometown. At least I only had a mom to impress.

The moment we stepped off the plane, reality was sinking in. I was actually home! I was going to see my mom after four months of being across the country. It was a bittersweet feeling. I was happy to be home, but I was also anxious for Colton to meet my mom.

Convincing Colton to not splurge on a truck reminded me of how different we are. He grew up with an endless bank account while I grew up helping my mom pay the bills. This entire town knew we struggled financially, but the town folk were there for whatever we needed. Which was why I didn't want him to make a scene. As soon as the town found out about him, they'd ask a million of questions, one being about his wealth. Thank god we chose the truck. Any other car would be drawing attention for miles!

Pulling into my driveway, my nerves began to skyrocket. This was it! I was officially home! I had no time to think about what impression my house was giving Colton because the front door slammed. I hopped out quick, seeing my mom. My smiled widened.

"Mom!" I shouted. She ran half way to me before engulfing me in a hug. I instantly relaxed. I had no idea how much I was missing her.

"I missed you so much." Mom told me. She let go and took in my appearance. I smiled brightly at her.

"I missed you too mom." I replied feeling at ease. After being stressed about finals and this trip, I could finally relax.

"And who may this be?" Mom asked as she turned to look at Colton. I giggled. He was watching us intently as if unsure of what to do. This was the first time he was meeting the parent.

"Nice to meet you Ms. Baxter." Colton greeted.

"You must be Colton. It's a pleasure to meet you." Mom said politely. She then looked at me with a smirk. "You were right. He is a cutie."

Colton laughed as I squirmed. I loved the boy, but it still made me uncomfortable to tell him how attractive he is. I sent a glare as his laughter continued. He then grabbed my hand and we followed my mom inside.

Feeling butterflies in my stomach again, I led Colton towards the couch. We sat down as my mom turned the tv off. I looked around, seeing not much has changed since I left. She must be constantly working.

"So Colton, what's it like being rich?" Mom blurted out. I dropped my mouth open, unsure if my mom actually just asked what I think she asked. Looking at Colton, he was staring at my mom with the same look. I can't believe my mom actually had the nerve to ask that.

"Mom!" I scolded. Mom shrugged. I narrowed my eyes at her. She rolled her eyes.

"Okay, okay. How was the flight?" She changed the subject. I slightly relaxed, but still had my guard up for whatever curveball my mom tries to throw at me. She could be unpredictable.