{ 17 | Colton }

Life wasn't as great as I hoped it would be. I thought freshmen year of college was going to be easy, a breeze. I'd be a starter, getting all the fame and the glory. I'd be the center of all the girls' attention, not having to choose between them. I'd be soaring through classes, not having to study. Life would be easy. But, it's not and for once, i'm alright with that outcome.

As I laced my shoes, I looked up into the crowd. My eyes searched for those familiar blue eyes, landing on them. I let out a breath. She smiled at me, making my heart skip a beat. Finding a girl like Faith definitely wasn't a part of my plan, but plans change and I'm okay with that.

It had only been a few days since my unofficial first date with Faith. It had also been a few days since I met that scum. Luckily, I hadn't seen him since. I hoped Faith hadn't either. She didn't need him. She just needed to focus on her studies and fall for me.

She had gone back to her shell, again and barely spoke. She did relax when it was just the two of us in her dorm, but once we stepped outside, it was bye, bye outgoing Faith. I just wished there was something I could do. I hated seeing her terrified because he was back. He shouldn't have this much control over her.

"Alright team. You all know the drill. Cardinals on three. One, two, three!" We shouted as Justin gave his small speech. We were playing the Bruins. It was out third game of the season and I was benched. Awesome.

"Come on boys!" I shouted. I watched as Justin dribbled the ball down the field. We had stolen the ball as soon as the whistle was blown. I hated being off the field, but that didn't matter. I had to be a team player, even if that meant being benched. "Shoot right!"

"Ashwood!" I heard Coach shout. I turned and saw that he was sending glares my way. Alright, I guess he doesn't like me shouting from the bench. I slumped back down and stayed silent. I watched as Wes stole the ball from the other team and raced down the field.

"Cardinal goal!" The announcer shouted. Wes had passed the ball to our teammate who then proceeded to kick the ball into the goal, putting us on the scoreboard.

"Just like that boys!" Coach shouted. They guys on the field jogged back to their starting positions. I decided to take that second to turn and look at Faith again. She was sitting down as Aly talked her ear off. She looked bored. I sighed. "Ashwood!"

"Yes Coach?" I asked turning back. His eyes held a frown as he signaled for me to get up. "Get warm. You're going in."

I jumped up and began to jog behind the bench. I had warmed up before the game had started but that was about ten, fifteen minutes ago. I did a few stretches before sprinting. I felt my muscles relax and my head get into the game.

"You're in whenever the ball goes out of play." Coach said. I nodded in understanding. I watched as the Bruins dribbled the ball down the field before attempting a shot. The crowd went silent as it flew over the net. I let out a breath as they missed. "In!"

I ran towards the line ref, signaling I was being put in. He blew his whistle, signaling there was a change. I switched with this guy named Logan. The other team began to whisper as they stared at me.

"What's up with them?" I asked Justin. He had jogged over.

"Rumor has it that you were bench for the entire season. Don't know where they got that absurd idea." Justin chuckled. I nodded, looking at the Bruin's bench. They were all frowning. "Stop man. You got this. Just like practice. We're a team."

"Team. Let's do this bro." I said getting into game mode. The whistle then blew, signaling the game had resumed.

-