One Little Pebble

Sent in anonymously. This prompt is going to be really fun to write, I can feel it. Prompt: AU where John Smith (the Doctor) and Clara Oswald are teenagers, and neighbors. Clara has always fancied John, and vice versa. But neither one knows about the other's feelings, and continues to ignore their own. Enjoy!

++++++++++

Clara Oswald sat in her room, getting ready for a date. Her date was with a rather nice boy by the name of Christopher 'Nine' Eccelston. Clara thought he seemed nice enough, and he wasn't horrible looking. The only thing she could really find wrong with his features were his ears, which were very visable with his short hair.

As she put the finishing touches on her makeup, she thought of her neighbor, John Smith, and how she had always admired him. They were friends in primary school, but had barely spoken since.

She saw Christopher's car pull up and walked downstairs when the doorbell rang, announcing his official arrival. She opened the door to see him leaning against her doorway wearing his usual leather jacket and was this time smoking a cigarette, much to Clara's distaste.

"Hey," he said. Clara didn't really think he seemed like the smoking type, and was a little disappointed that she hadn't known.

"Hi," Clara said back. She nodded towards his hand, "You smoke?"

"Not usually. I just though maybe you liked it, and I wanted to impress you," he said, looking down sheepishly.

"Well, I don't. So please put it out, thanks."

+++++++++++

John looked up from his guitar when he heard a car door, only to see a friend of his brother's get out. He seemed to remember that his name was Nine, but other than that John didn't really know him. He watched curiously, ready to get up and tell him that David wasn't home. Then he saw Nine walk up to Clara Oswald's house.

His face scrunched up, really hoping that maybe he mistook her house for his. He had no such luck. He saw Clara get into the passenger side seat of his car, and then they drove away.

"Shit," he muttered out to himself. But then what was he jealous of? He had never asked her out on his own, and now it was too late.

+++++++++++

Clara slammed the door behind her. She was pissed off that she had even decided to go on that date. She should have known; he was a senior, and she was only a sophomore. All he wanted was to make out a little and then feel her up in the back seat. She was humiliated.

She stormed up to her room and looked out her window. She could see straight into John Smith's house, and right now he was sitting on his bed, reading. Clara stared at him until she saw him move. She quickly stood up and turned on some music while taking off her makeup. She noticed John staring right back into her room, and she smirked to herself.

++++++++++

John decided that this was it; that he was going to talk to her. He picked a small pebble from his beloved rock collection (he decided that it was worth sacrificing) and tossed it gently so it hit her window without breaking it. He saw her get up, and walk over to window, surprised.

"Hello?" Clara said, opening her window.

"Hi," John said. He noticed she was in her pajamas, and that her hair was a little messy from her running her hands through it constantly.

"Did you throw a rock at my window?"

"Um...yes. Yes, I did. I've actually wanted to talk to you for a while, and I wanted to ask you on a date," John said, wringing his hands. "But if you don't want to, I understand."

"That sounds like fun!" Clara exclaimed, butterflies growing in her stomach. "But I thought you were dating that River Song girl?"

"Nope. She broke up with me a few months ago."

"I'm sorry. But yeah, that sounds great. Tomorrow, right after school, at the diner?" Clara asked.

"Sounds great."

+++++++++++

(Epilogue, as requested)

Clara and John began dating steadily three weeks later. Much to everyone's surprise, John Smith the Recluse and Clara Oswald the Elf actually managed to be in a relationship. And everyone had to agree that they looked adorable together.

Clara and John went to the same college to become teachers, and ended up teaching at the same school. They got married five years after their first date, and had three kids together, two boys and a girl.

++++++

Hope you enjoyed! You know the usual spiel, so just have a good day and a happy life!