Chapter 2: That Moment When You Want to Become Enemies With a Cat

Chapter 2:  That Moment When You Want to Become Enemies With a Cat

       A loud alarm began blaring, waking me up from my sleep though I didn't bother opening my eyes. I just groaned and pulled the blanket over my head, trying to ignore the annoying sound so I could go back to sleep.

       Apparently, that wasn't possible because Sawyer decided to say, "Seriously? I've been trying to wake you up for the past ten minutes."

       "Why are you trying to wake me up?" I muttered. "What time is it anyway?"

       "Eight-ten."

       I didn't really process Sawyer's answer for a few seconds. When I did, I finally realized why Sawyer must have been trying to wake me up for the past ten minutes. Today was my first day at my new school and it started at eight-twenty.

       I sat up on the mattress and looked at Sawyer. "Why didn't anyone wake me up earlier?!"

       "I've been trying," Sawyer said. "Like I said, for ten minutes. You are a really heavy sleeper, aren't you?"

       "You couldn't have done anything else to wake me up?" I asked as I started digging through my suitcase to try and find something to wear.

       "Your mom said you're more than capable of waking up on your own," Sawyer said. "Though it's clear she was mistaken. I thought I'd be nice and wake you up so you're not late to school."

       Sawyer left the room so I could get ready and I sighed heavily. I forgot to set my alarm last night and because of it, I was probably going to show up late to school anyway.

       I was going to make a wonderful first impression.

       I got ready as quickly as I could before grabbing my backpack and hurrying down the stairs. The only people still in the house were Trey, Beth, Vincent, and Sawyer, all four of them being in the kitchen. 

       "Where's my mom?" I asked.

       "Sorry, she already left," Beth said. "She was waiting for you to wake up but she couldn't wait any longer because she had to go take Dorothy to school and talk to the principal for a bit."

       Why couldn't my mom have tried waking me up? Now I was going to have to walk to school and I had no idea exactly where it was. Knowing me, I was only going to get lost and end up in a coffee shop instead.

       ...Not that I would go to a coffee shop instead of school if I couldn't find it. That would be bad.

       "I'll give you a ride," Sawyer said. "I have to run some errands anyway."

       "Thank you," I said even though my mind was clearly thinking of something else.

       Mom was right. I had been way too sexual every since I came out.

       My bad.

       Sawyer and I left the house and went to his truck. Once we were both inside, Sawyer started up the truck and pulled out of the driveway. While I got so used to living in the city, I guess it wasn't so bad living in this small town again since it took less than two minutes to get to the school.

       Sawyer pulled over to the side of the road and I opened the door, about to get out but then I realized I had nobody to show me how to get around the school so I asked, "Any chance you can tell me how to get to the office?"

       "It's on the right as soon as you walk in," Sawyer said. "You can't miss it."

       "Thanks," I said, hopping out of the truck and heading to the front doors of the school.