Chapter 14: His Friends are Back and I Like Them for Boosting My Ego

       Sawyer and I had been going on the trail quite a bit ever since the first time we went back there and surprisingly, Paint was okay every single time we went on the trail. He had no problem being around Raven or Sawyer.

       Even back at the farm, Paint was starting to be a lot better being around Sawyer. I didn't know why. It just happened all of a sudden and out of the blue. One day, he wasn't okay around Sawyer and the next, he was. 

       I didn't get it but I wasn't complaining.

       Right as Sawyer and I put Raven and Paint back in the fields, I noticed a car pull into the driveway. "Who's that?" I asked Sawyer.

       Sawyer looked over at the car, immediately smiling once he noticed exactly who was in the car. "No way."

       "No way what?" I asked, curious as to see who was making Sawyer smiled brightly.

       However, Sawyer completely ignored me and went to the car to greet whoever was there. I scowled, turning my attention to Paint since he clearly wouldn't ignore me like Sawyer just did.

       I did look back at the car to see exactly who was in the car. Three people got out; one guy and two girls. And of course, I didn't recognize any of them. 

       Sawyer greeted each of them with a hug and while I was watching, Paint nudged my arm with his snout. "What?" I asked. "I'm not jealous."

       Paint whinnied and for some reason, it sounded like a laugh to me. 

       "Are you... Are you mocking me?" I asked.

       He just whinnied even more and it still sounded like a laugh. I couldn't believe it. My horse was actually mocking me.

       What has my life come to?

       Sawyer ended up walking over with the three people and once Paint saw them, he quickly ran off to the other side of the field. I was tempted to go to where Paint was to ignore Sawyer for ignoring me but in the end, I walked over to Sawyer and the others.

       "Jamie, these are my friends, Zach, Felicity, and Lynda," Sawyer said. "Guys, this is Jamie."

       "Oh, so you're Jamie," Felicity said, a smile on her face. "Well, it is very nice to meet you, Jamie."

       "Why was 'you're' emphasized?" I asked.

       "Uh, usually when someone says it like that, it's because said person is being talked about a lot," Zach said. "And Sawyer talks about you a lot. I don't think he ever talks about anything else as much as he talks about you."

       "Awe, Sawyer," I said. "If you like me so much, you should just ask me out already. You and I both know I'd say yes."

       Sawyer sighed. "I already regret telling my friends about you."

       "You regret a lot of things about me," I said. "So how come I've never met your friends until today? Am I not good enough?"

       "Jamie, don't be ridiculous," Lynda said. "Obviously you are good enough if he's always talking about you. And trust me, he just goes on and on."

       I looked at Sawyer. "Seriously, why haven't I met them sooner? I like them."

       "Oh, we were on a cross country tour for a couple of months," Zach said. "Lynda was show jumping while Felicity and I were bronc riding. And as much as we loved it, we're happy to be back." Zach threw an arm around Sawyer's shoulder. "Because it means we get to see this guy again and bug him all day. He gets so irritable easily. It's funny."