Chapter 8: Back Off, Lulu. Even Though You Don't Like Sawyer. Still. Back Off.

Chapter 8: Back Off, Lulu. Even though You Don't Like Sawyer. Still. Back Off.

       "You have some explaining to do," Lulu said as she and Beau sat down at the table I was already sitting at in the cafeteria. We always sat down at the same table and normally, I was first one to get there since my class was closest to the cafeteria.

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "What exactly do I have to explain?"

       "What I saw at the fair," Lulu said. "It was the cutest thing ever I had ever witnessed and it mad me so happy. And a bit mad because it meant you lied to me."

       I was still confused as to what Lulu was talking about and what she thought I lied to her about. Why couldn't she ever get right to the point at times?

       "I don't get it," I said. "What are you going on about?"

       "You told me you and Sawyer were only friends," Lulu said. "But you didn't seem like just friends at the fair."

       "Yeah, you're going to have to expand more," I said. "Because I am very confused right now and have no idea what you're talking about."

       Lulu eyed me suspiciously. "Are you only saying that to try avoiding the question? Or do you really have no idea what I'm talking about? Because I feel like it's the first one. You do realize I'm going to keep bugging you until you tell me, right?"

       Beau, thankfully, realized I really didn't have any idea what Lulu was talking about so he was the one who clarified things for me. "She's talking about you and Sawyer dancing together."

       "Oh, that," I said.

       "Yeah, that," Lulu said. "How could you keep that from me? And didn't you tell me that you two were only friends? You didn't seem like just friends."

       "Lulu, we are just friends," I said. "Friends can dance together. There's nothing wrong with it."

       "Friends don't slow dance together," Lulu said. Beau was about to open his mouth to say something but Lulu beat him to it. "We don't count, Beau."

       "And you don't you two count?" I asked.

       "Don't change the subject," Lulu said. "I'm just curious about the whole thing."

       "There's nothing to be curious about," I said. "We were just standing off to the side with nothing to do so he asked me to dance. That's it. Nothing more."

       Even though to me, I was starting to think there was more to it. I just didn't want to admit it to anyone yet. Or maybe not at all. It was something I was going to keep to myself until the feelings passed.

       "Alright, fine," Lulu said, surprisingly. I thought she would have kept pushing me to answer in the way she wanted me to. "I guess you two are just friends. That's all you'll ever be. Nothing more. Ever."

       "I don't know if you're trying to play a mind game or something but you're right there," I said. "Sawyer's my best friend. That's it."

       "Sure, sure," Lulu said. "Whatever you say."

       "Can't you just leave him alone?" Beau asked. "Not try your weird mind games that don't even work because people know you well enough to know what you do for your mind games?"

       "Who's side are you on?" Lulu asked.

       Beau frowned. "I wasn't aware there were sides. I'm just saying you shouldn't try interfering with Jamie's personal life and relationships..."