Chapter 19: Revenge May Be Sweet But I Prefer Sawyer's D-- Dedication to Horses

       I was finally able to stay off of the crutches now though my leg still hurt a tiny bit. As long as I didn't put too much pressure on my leg, I would be fine. 

       At least it was a lot easier for me to get down the stairs. I didn't have to stay cooped in my room all day. Not that I did mind that for the most part. Whenever Sawyer wasn't working, he did spend time there with me.

       Even though Kitty showed a clear hatred and disgust about the idea of me and Sawyer dating, she hasn't really done anything to me like I thought she would. I was just worried she was plotting something because both Sawyer and Lulu told me Kitty wasn't the type of person to let things slide easily.

       And her still being in love with her ex-boyfriend while he dated someone else, a more amazing person, clearly wasn't something she was going to just forget about.

       Unfortunately.

       As much as I wanted to irritate the living hell out of Kitty whenever she was being a jerk, I also just wanted to live a peaceful life. Obviously that wasn't going to happen. I was just waiting for the moment where Kitty would cause it to turn into chaos.

       Since I was off my crutches, I found it a lot easier to spend time with Paint. I didn't have to have those stupid things under my arms the whole time. 

       Paint was happy that I was able to spend more time with him. Sometimes when I was in his field and he acknowledged it, he would still just trot around the field as well as stay around me. Now, he wouldn't leave my side at all.

       I was still so glad that he wasn't mad at me for bringing him into the forest during the storm. I still felt a tiny bit guilty about the fact that he got hurt because of it but at least he wasn't blaming me.

       While I was spending time with Sawyer, I noticed Mayor Ward's car pull into the driveway, causing me to sigh heavily. I bet Kitty was with her once again. Every time the mayor had to stop by to talk to Trey and Beth, Kitty tagged along.

       Either to check out Sawyer or to survey me and learn my weaknesses so she could take me down.

       And like I guessed, Kitty was with her mom. She got out of the car with Mayor Ward, causing me to roll my eyes and turn my attention back to Paint. I couldn't really do anything about Kitty coming here but I really hoped she just stayed away from me and Paint. Every time I was with Paint when Kitty came over, Kitty just had to walk over and make Paint run away to the other side of the field.

       She knew Paint didn't like people. Anyone who knew the Birch family and knew their horses knew that Paint wasn't particularly fond of humans. Or other horses. Or basically every living thing in general.

       Of course, Kitty did walk over once she saw me here. As soon as Paint saw her, he took off to the other side of the field.

       "Seriously?" I asked Kitty. "Why do you have to do that every time?"

       "Do what?" Kitty asked innocently. "I just wanted to talk to you about something."

       "Well, you're annoying and you made my horse run away so that's not happening," I said as I walked to the gate of the enclosed area.

       Kitty wasn't taking the hint that I didn't want to talk to her. No surprise there. She didn't seem to listen to anyone but herself. "I see your leg is better," she said.

       "No, it's not," I said sarcastically. "In fact, it got a lot worse. As you can see, I now have a cast on my leg."

       Kitty rolled her eyes. "Geez, I can't have a genuine conversation with you, can I?'