Chapter 16: You are the Best Thing That's Ever Been Mine

       I haven't really left the bedroom all weekend. Not because I didn't want to but because it was just too much of a hassle for me to get down the stairs now that I was on crutches and could barely put any pressure on my leg.

       And since I didn't even bother going downstairs, I haven't seen Paint all weekend. I really wanted to but I was so afraid he wouldn't want to be around me anymore. I loved that horse a whole lot and I was selfish enough to take him out for a ride when there was a clear indication of a storm coming.

       Now that it was Monday and I had to go to school, I did have a reason to go and see Paint. I held it off as long as I could but eventually, I caved it and cautiously made my way to Paint's field. He was just galloping around, not paying any attention to his surroundings.

       Paint didn't pay any attention to me until I opened the gate and walked into the field. He stared at me for a bit before trotting over. Once he reached me, he gently nudged his snout against my arm. I smiled as I rubbed his neck, feeling relieved he wasn't mad at me.

       "I'm sorry I took you out in the storm," I said. "I promise I won't do it again." Paint gave a soft whinny in reply, nudging my arm gently again.

       "See?" I heard a voice behind me say so I turned around to look at Sawyer who was leaning against the fence. "I told you he wouldn't be mad at you."

       "I still couldn't help but worry about it," I said. "I didn't know what I would do if he was mad at me. At least I know not to make that stupid mistake again."

       "Jamie, it wasn't your fault," Sawyer said. 

       "I should have just stayed back when I saw how dark the clouds were," I said. "I was being selfish."

       "You weren't being selfish," Sawyer assured. "Paint isn't mad at you. You shouldn't beat yourself up over it."

       I didn't say anything in reply. I wanted to believe Sawyer but I still felt a tiny bit guilty for causing Paint to get hurt, even if Paint wasn't mad about it.

       When Sawyer realized I wasn't going to say anything else, he changed the subject, mainly by reminding me of the dreadful day of school I have in front of me. "You ready to head out?" he asked.

       "Not really," I said. "I can just pretend my leg hurts too much so I could lie in bed all day."

       "I mean, if you want to I'm not going to stop you," Sawyer said.

       I really wanted to stay home but I haven't been doing too well in school lately so it wasn't the best idea for me to miss a day, especially if I would have been fine going there.

       "No, I'll actually go to school," I said. "I just have to get my backpack. Which is all the way upstairs in the bedroom."

       "I'll get it so you won't have to struggle getting up and down the stairs," Sawyer said. "And I'll unlock my truck on the way there so you can just wait in there."

        I smiled at Sawyer before rubbing Paint's neck one last time. "I'll be back as soon as I can," I said.

       I went to Sawyer's truck as he went to the house to get my backpack. It took some time to get into the passenger seat of the truck, mainly because I couldn't figure out how to get my crutches into the truck while still trying to keep my balance.

       In the end, I just put the crutches in the back of the truck and limped to the passenger seat, suffering through the pain from putting even the slightest amount of pressure on my leg.