Chapter 5: Being Friends is For the Best. I Guess.

       Sometimes when I didn't have anything to do, I spent time with Paint, even if I just sat down on the fence to just watch him roam around his field. I really wanted to try getting him to interact more with other horses but I knew I was going to have to do that slowly.

       Paint trotted over to me, standing by the fence and just staring at me. I hopped off of the fence to stroke his neck, a thin smile on my face. I always felt calm around him. I haven't been stressed out or anything lately but I still felt some serenity just by being around Paint.

       And at least Paint felt the same way. Whenever anyone else went near him, he panicked at times or ran all the way to the other end of the field so the person wouldn't be near him. But with me, Paint actually made the effort to come to where I was.

       While I was just calmly stroking Paint's neck, I noticed a car pull into the driveway. I kept my eye on it to see who the car belonged to. The driver and passenger doors opened, a woman first stepping out of the driver's door. I didn't recognize who she was but once the passenger got out, it was easy to pin who the woman was.

       The mayor. Also known as Kitty's mom.

       Kitty was the one who got out of the passenger's door. I had no idea why she was here but all I knew was the Birch family wasn't going to react positively to it. Well, they might but that was only because the mayor was here as well and they wouldn't want to piss of the mayor by being mad at her daughter.

       Even though Kitty was a jerk for what she said to Sawyer when she dumped him.

       I was trying my best to ignore Kitty but it didn't help when she started making her way here while her mother went to the front door of the house. I just put my concentration on Paint so I wouldn't have to look at the wicked person approaching me.

       She even had the audacity to clear her throat quite loudly before saying, "Hello? Are you going to pay attention to me?"

       I looked over at her and glared. "Go away."

       Kitty snorted. "You should be a bit more hospitable."

       "To you of all people?" I asked. "I'll show you respect once you learn some yourself."

       Kitty walked a bit closer to the fence which caused Paint to panic a bit. I had to calm him down before letting him roam on the far side of the field, away from Kitty. "I can't believe they still have that horse," Kitty said. "After all these years of having no progress with him whatsoever."

       By the time Kitty said that, I noticed Sawyer had walked over so he ended up overhearing her. "Clearly there is some progress if Jamie was able to be as close to him as he was," Sawyer said, causing Kitty to turn and look at him. "What are you doing here?"

       "My mom wanted to talk to your parents," Kitty said. "Something about the fair happening soon. I wanted to come with her to pop by for a visit."

       "Well, you did," Sawyer said. "Now you can leave."

       "Can we please just talk?" Kitty asked.

       "Why?" Sawyer asked. "So you can remind me that you don't want to be with a bisexual guy?"

       Kitty sighed. "Sawyer..."

       Sawyer ignored her and looked at me. "I need your help with something."

       "You're just going to ignore me?" Kitty asked.