Chapter 12: Sawyer Just Makes My Heart Go Ba-Boom

       The sound of the stables door sliding over roughly was what woke me up from my sleep though I didn't bother to open my eyes yet. After being woken up in the middle of the night and staying up for a while in the stables, I just wanted to continue sleeping.

       Apparently, the person who opened the door to the stables didn't get that I wanted to continue sleeping. 

       "Sawyer, Jamie," Trey said and as much as I wanted to ignore him, I didn't think it would be too polite since he was letting my family live with his family in the first place.

       When I opened my eyes, I realized that my head had been resting on Sawyer's shoulder. I didn't even remember falling asleep, to be honest. I just remember staying up for a while after Sawyer and I decided to stay in the stables since Paint wouldn't allow me to leave.

       Once Sawyer woke up and looked over at Trey as well, Trey asked, "Why did you two sleep here?"

       I was going to make some sort of innuendo but I, surprisingly, had some self control when it came to it, knowing it wouldn't be the best for Sawyer's dad to hear what I say about his son.

       Thankfully, Sawyer was the one who answered the question anyway. "The storm last night freaked Paint out. He broke out of his stall again and when Jamie brought him back, he kept panicking whenever Jamie tried leaving so he had to stay in here. I stayed too so he wouldn't be alone."

       Trey sighed. "He broke out of his stall again?"

       "Yeah," Sawyer said. "He really doesn't like storms, I guess. I'll get started on fixing it."

       "No, I'll get one of your siblings to help me with it," Trey said. "You and Jamie should head inside and get some proper sleep, even just for an hour or so. It must have been tiresome sleeping like that."

       "It wasn't too bad," Sawyer said. "But I am still a bit tired so I will go get some more sleep."

       "Me too," I said.

       Sawyer and I stood off of the hay bale and I dusted the straws of hay off of my pants as Sawyer placed the blanket back to where he got it from. We then headed back to the house where everyone was now awake, all being in the dining room.

       "Where did you two get off to?" Beth asked. 

       "The stables," I said. "Paint had a major freak out last night and broke out his stall and apparently, that's not the first time it happened."

       "Yeah, it's not," Beth said. "He doesn't do it often but it's still not something new whenever he does. Did you two sleep there? Because I was the first one awake and didn't see you two leave the house."

       "Paint wouldn't let Jamie leave so we just stayed in there," Sawyer said. "And now, we are going to get a bit more sleep since we were up for a while in the stables."

       He was totally setting me up to make an innuendo but I didn't want to say it with Beth listening. I didn't think I could say any innuendos about Sawyer with Trey and Beth around so I was trying my hardest to keep my mouth shut.

       Mom knew me so well and must have known I was wanting to say an innuendo because she gave me a harsh look, one that I knew my mother gave me whenever she wanted me to shut up.

       It was a hard thing to do.

       But I was able to stay quiet as Sawyer and I went to the bedroom. As soon as we were there, I flopped down onto the mattress, covering myself with the blanket on top. "Wake me up in a hundred years."