Chapter 7: Slow Dance? Sure. This Totally isn't a Date.

       I was actually excited for the fair that was happening in Ruralburgh. Not just because Sawyer was technically forced to spend the whole day with me since I won the bet but because I genuinely felt like I was going to have a fun time there.

       Ruralburgh did the fair every single year, probably ever since the town was created. I did slightly remember what it was like from the time I had lived here before. The had an endless amount of carnival games, food, even a few rides.

        They also had some cook-offs, other competitions, and even some performances. It was going to be great to actually have some fun for once and take my mind off of everything.

       Well, actually, living in Ruralburgh again was doing quite a bit for me to take my mind off of losing my dad. Living back in the city was only a constant reminder of what I lost. Everything reminded me about him.

       But here, I didn't have too many strong memories that I associated with my dad. It was almost like a fresh start. Something my family really needed.

       Most of the Birch family had to head to the fairgrounds earlier than the official start time because they all had an important thing to do. Trey and Monica were entering the chili cook-off together while Beth and Vincent were entering the pie cook-off together. Anyone entering the cook-offs had to get there earlier to register and set up.

       For the chili cook-off, that was going to be happening during the fair so Trey and Monica had to bring all the ingredients they were planning on using there and make sure everything was ready. For the pie cook-off, the pie had to be made at home and brought to the carnival, still before it started so the judges had enough time to judge the entries and still have free time to enjoy the carnival.

       And Erica, apparently, was a popular singer in this town and was going to be performing a few songs so she had to be there early as well. Sawyer was the only one who didn't have to be there early so he offered to drive my family there, that way we wouldn't have to take two vehicles.

       As soon as we got there, I helped Dorothy get out of the truck. Once her feet were on the ground, she was about to run during the entrance but I quickly caught her. "You can't just run off," I said.

       "But I want to go to the fair," Dorothy said.

       "We will but you have to wait for Mom and Sawyer," I said.

       Dorothy scowled and crossed her arms over her chest as she waited for Mom and Sawyer to come on this side of the truck since it was closest to the entrance of the fairgrounds. Right as Dorothy saw Mom and Sawyer, she took off again.

       I didn't bother trying to stop her this time. She could get lost for all I cared.

       "Dorothy Krukowski!" Mom called after her. "What did I say about running off?!"

       Dorothy still tried making her way to the entrance but this time, Sawyer was the one who stopped her, picking her up so she couldn't run away anymore. She was probably going to try escaping again so Sawyer placed her on top of his shoulders. "How's that?" he asked.

       "I can see so much!" Dorothy said happily.

       "I bet," Sawyer said. "Can you see the Ferris wheel?"

       "Yes!" Dorothy said. "It looks cool!"

       "Well, when it gets dark out, the Ferris wheel lights up in all these beautiful colours," Sawyer said. "It's really pretty going on there when it gets dark."