Chapter 23: As Camping Comes to an End, So Does My Tolerance for Kitty

       The rain was really heavy during the night, which only kept me awake the whole time. Not because I couldn't sleep with the sound of the pattering raindrops on the tarp covering the tent. I was just really worried about Paint. If it turned into a storm, he might freak out again.

       So I was just staying awake to see if I got a phone call from someone back at the Birches' house to tell me Paint was acting out again. If I fell asleep, I might end up staying asleep during the phone call.

       Sawyer, on the other hand, was able to fall back asleep after we got back into our tent.

       Since I couldn't sleep at all and I was extremely bored just lying in the tent doing nothing, I decided to join the people sitting by the fire staying up all night. I didn't know many of the people there but some were in my class and we genuinely friendly people.

       In fact, the only not so nice people in Ruralburgh that I knew were Kitty and Steph. Mainly Kitty. She just didn't know how to leave people alone.

       Once I sat down on one of the logs under the gazebo, one girl who was in one of my classes, Jolene, said, "Jamie, glad you're able to join us. We're playing truth or truth."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "What's truth or truth?"

       "It's basically truth or dare but without the dare," Jolene said. "We can't really do any dares right now considering it's pouring and some people are trying to sleep.

       "Why isn't it just called truth?" I asked.

       "Because that's a boring name," Jolene's friend, Clarice, said. "Yeah, the game does sound boring but we're a bunch of bored people trying to pass time until the morning. Wanna play?"

       I was feeling a bit bored too so I agreed to playing the game. Things shouldn't get too bad since Kitty and Steph weren't here to play. They would probably just ask people they hate very personal and attacking questions. 

       Like what they did for Never Have I Ever.

       "I'll ask you something," Jolene said. "So truth or truth?"

       "Hmm... That's a tough choice," I said. "I think I'll go with... Truth. No, wait. Truth."

       "Okay, let's see..." Jolene said. "What is your favourite thing about dating Sawyer?"

       "Oh, that's easy," I said, wanting to give a not-so serious answer at first because I was a big pest at times. "It makes Kitty mad."

       "Oh, come on, as funny as it is to see Kitty mad, I'm sure that's not your favourite thing about dating Sawyer," Jolene said.

       "It's not," I said. "I was kidding. Sort of. It's definitely a plus but my favourite thing about dating Sawyer... It's definitely how big his heart is. He's the most kind and thoughtful and generous person ever."

       I had seriously never met someone as sweet as Sawyer. Even when we were younger before I moved away, he was such a sweet kid. It was why I became best friends with him. I was always just so happy around him.

       It was such a shame that dating him meant having to deal with a spiteful ex who couldn't get it in her mind that Sawyer would never date her again and that he wasn't property to anyone.

       And speaking of that spiteful ex...

       Kitty ended up getting out of her tent to join all of us under the gazebo. When she noticed that I was here, she scoffed. "Ugh, great, what are you doing here?" she asked.