Chapter 33: A Break By the Lake. Hey, That Rhymes.

       Like Sawyer promised, he was going to take me somewhere special this weekend. However, he wasn't telling me exactly where we were going. I wasn't sure if I trusted him. Last time he wanted to take me somewhere, we went to a haunted forest.

       He was probably going to take me somewhere worse than a haunted forest.

       He was probably going to take me to a haunted house. Or worse. An abandoned asylum.

       Should I hide from him?

       "Jamie, are you almost done packing?" Sawyer asked. "We should be heading out soon."

       "It depends," I said, shoving some clothes into a suitcase despite not being sure if I wanted to go with Sawyer so he didn't kill me or cause me to get possessed. "Are you going to tell me where we're going?"

       "I told you, it's a surprise," Sawyer said.

       I huffed. "Great. I guess I should break something to protect myself. Like salt or sage."

       "I'm surprised you didn't say condoms," Sawyer said.

       I looked at Sawyer and smiled widely. "Sawyer Colt Birch, did you just make an innuendo?"

       Sawyer furrowed his eyebrows. "What? No. I just said I was surprised you didn't say that."

       "Yes, but you also thought that I would say that," I said. "Meaning you thought about the innuendo when I said something to protect myself. Meaning you made an innuendo and nothing you say will change my mind."

       Sawyer chuckled. "Of course. Well, c'mon and hurry up. I want to get going, and we need to stop off at the grocery store first."

       I eyed him suspiciously. "Why? Are you going to buy stuff to sacrifice me to demons? Is that the only reason why you're dating me? So you can sacrifice me to the demons and I won't expect it?"

       "I don't even want to question what goes on in that pretty little head of yours," Sawyer said.

       "You're not denying it," I said. "That's it. I'm staying home. In fact, I'm moving to the guest house so you can't come in."

       "I have keys to the guest house."

       "Then... I'm moving into Paint's stall. He'll protect me. In fact, he'll get mad once I tell him you're planning on sacrificing me to demons."

       "I'm not... I give up," Sawyer said. "I don't have to take you out anywhere, you know."

       "I'm only kidding," I said. Well, at least I was half-kidding. I still didn't know Sawyer's true intentions for taking me to the 'special' place.

       I finished packing so Sawyer and I grabbed our suitcases and bags before heading downstairs. "Well, we're about to head off," Sawyer said to his family and mine, who were in the kitchen.

       "Quick question, do any of you know morse code?" I asked. "I might have to send a message if I get in trouble."

       Mom furrowed her eyebrows. "Why would you get in trouble?"

       "I don't know. Ask Sawyer." I glared at him.

       "Don't worry about him," Sawyer said. "He's just convinced that I'm going to sacrifice him to demons."

       Mom looked even more confused and I didn't blame her. Sawyer was an extremely nice guy. Nobody would expect him to sacrifice me to demons. Maybe that was why he was dating me. Nobody would expect his ulterior motive.