Chapter Eleven

Angelina POV

As soon as we parked the car Veronica jumped out and started running towards the entrance. I locked the car and followed her inside.
When I walked towards Veronica she was already asking a woman about the location of Joslin's room.

„I'm sorry but she just had her surgery. Go to floor 5. Someone will be able to tell you more about her current situation and where she is."
Veronica left without saying thank you and went straight for the elevator.
„Thank you very much." The nurse seemed a bit irritated seeing me but I couldn't pay any attention towards that. Veronica was already walking into the lift when I started walking towards it.
I got inside just in time when the doors started closing.
„She's going to be alright. I promise."
She looked at me an nodded not saying anything.
Something told me I shouldn't have said that. Though it was to late.
Soon enough the elevator doors opened and we stepped outside.
We walked towards the desk where a nurse sat behind and asked her about the location of Veronica's „mum".

„You must be..." before she could talk any further a voice could be herd from behind.
„Veronica?"
We turned around to see a tall man staying in front of us.
„Dad" Veronica said while jumping into his arms. The hugged for a few seconds until the pulled apart and Veronica asked. „How is mum. Can I see her? What happened?"

"She was so frustrated that she called you non stop when you didn't pick up she searched in the internet for Angelinas number which she of course didn't find. After I had left for work she must have started drinking. Apparently she took the car and went to drive to your house." He pointed at me while I was looking at Veronica. "She crossed a few red lights before a truck had hit the side of the car, making it flip in the air and land on the roof." Veronica had tears streaming down her face.

"Her heart had stopped but the EMT guys could start it again."
Veronica's legs seemed to give in as she started sinking towards the floor. I grabbed her waist and held her close so she wouldn't fall. We walked, stumbled toward some chairs where we sat down.

"Is she stable?" I asked. "The docs told me that the weren't sure but that if she survives the next 24 hours she should be fine."
I nodded and looked at my daughter. Carefully I rapped my arms around her and pulled her closer. She snuggled into my chest. Quiet sobs could be heard throughout the hallway.
"Can we go and see her?" Veronica asked quietly.
"I'll need to ask a nurse. Wait here." He stood up and went to find a nurse.

"What if she's never going to be okay again?"
I took me a few seconds to answer that question. "She will be alright. I'm sure."

I knew it was wrong saying that but what should I do? Veronica needed comforting.

Mark came back with a nurse. "You must be her daughter. If you would like to see Joslin now, please follow me."

Veronica and I got up and followed Mark and the nurse. The nurse walked into the room first Veronica followed quickly behind.

Veronica POV

As soon as I walked into the room. I looked towards the white hospital bed.
What I saw shattered my heart into tiny pieces.

The woman who raised me had countless tubes sticking out of her body. Many bandages and scratches were visible.
Her left leg and arm were in a cast.

I slowly approached her. "Mommy?"
The room was dead silent apart from the machines beeping besides the bed wanting to tell everyone that she was still alive.
"Please wake up ... please. I'm so sorry that I ran away."
I took her pale hand in mine while salty tears ran down my cheeks.
"Open your eyes. Please"

She can't leave me. Not like this.

I felt a hand on my shoulder trying to comfort me. It was Angelina's.
Usually I would have appreciated the comforting but in this moment my inner pain and fears turned into anger and rage.

I turned around and smacked her hand away. She took a step back surprised by my action.
"This is all you fault. If you hadn't written me that stupid letter I would have never ran away. You are the reason she is in the hospital. This is all your doing. All you is destroy and leave people heartbroken. You will never be my mother." I screamed at Angelina who had a tear running down her face.

"I hate you. I never want to see your face again." I took me a few seconds to realize what I had just said. But before I could say anything Angelina took the few steps and walked out of the room not turning back once.

What had I just done? I fell on my knees and cried into my hands.