Chapter Sixteen

Angelina POV

Vivienne, Knox, Pax and I were on our way back home. We went to go shopping for the weekend since it was Friday and we had planned a family weekend at our vacation house house in Santa Barbara.

Driving up our driveway a car was waiting to drive away. It took me a second to realize that that was Veronica's car. I pushed the brakes but there was already enough space for the Dodge to drive away.

I jumped out of the car just to see the taillight of her car disappear behind the next corner.

The kids came out of the car looking at me with an irritated look.
"Who was that?" Pax asked me.
"I believe that was Veronica."
Pax was about to say something when Maddox came up to us.

"Hey Mum." As if nothing happened he picked Knox up and started walking back to the house.
Pax helped me get the shopping in the house while Vivienne was playing with Jacques. She and that dog where inseparable.

When the groceries were stored I went to the garden to search for my oldest son.
He was playing basketball with Shilo, Pax and Knox.
"Maddox. Can we talk?"
Mad looked at me knowing what would come next.
We walked towards the library.

"Why didn't you stop Veronica from leaving when we arrived?"
Mad was turning around facing the window.
"I won't tell you why because it is not my place to say. But what I can tell you is that she needs you. More than ever."
I nodded understanding. But I didn't hide my disappointment.
"She didn't tell me where she was going but if my feeling is correct she is not planing on further living by Marks place."
He looked at me. "Shit. Something must have happened."
"Just call her."
"Do you think she's even going to pick up?"
Maddox nodded before leaving the room.

I took my phone out of my pocket and dialed Veronica's number.

Veronica POV

After twenty minutes of driving my phone started ringing. It was pretty clear that it was Angelina. No one else called me that month. Not even Jane.
I picked up the call.
"Yes?"
"Veronica? Thank god you picked up."
I wasn't sure how to reply to that so I decided to keep quiet.
"Why didn't you stop?"
"I have to go. I can't stay here."
"Veronica please. What happened? You can talk to me."
"Listen it doesn't matter. I'm leaving town. Please don't worry about me."
I heard Angelina laugh on the other end. "You are kidding me. You are not even 18 and want to leave town? Fuck no. Tell me where you are so we can talk. You owe me that much."
I knew she was referring to our last conversation in the hospital.
I knew that I owed her. And I knew that if I refused she would never let me go.
"Urgh... alright. I'll text you the address."
"Good. I'm getting in the car now."
"Kay. See ya."
I ended the call and texted her the address. I parked my car at a road stop Café.

Angelina would probably arrive in the next 20 min. So I decided to walk inside the cafe and order something to eat since I was starving. After I had ordered I looked around the small Café.
The only other people where an old couple who sat a few tables away and two men sitting at the counter.
I took my phone out and went on Instagram looking though some of my old friends posts.
They all looked so happy. I felt jealousy rising up in me.

Suddenly one of the men, I saw sitting at the counter, sat down right next me. "What are you doing here all alone?"
"Fuck off would ya?"
He laughed in a creepy way.
"What if I like it here... next to you?"
He put his arm around me.
I tried getting away but I was trapped. I could brake his nose but that would raise attention.
One thing I really did not need.

So I stayed and growled in annoyance.
"You better watch what you are saying you piece of shit."

I still didn't look at him.

"And now fuck off I want to drink my coffee."

"I would be nice to me if I were you. When I get angry I become very very unpleasant."

"What is so hard to understand? I'm not interested in your fucking games."

"Oh what a pity. But listen little girl. I don't need you to be interested. I just need you to be obedient. And how thinks look to me there is no one here to save your cute little ass."

I clenched my fist ready to punch that duchebag in the face.

Then ...