Chapter Fifteen

Veronica POV

I left with my longboard. Just as I reached the bus stop the bus opened its doors. I jumped inside and took a seat in the back.
While I looked outside the window listening to some music I thought about my future.
It would be best if I could leave Los Angeles. But that would mean dropping out of school. Leaving everyone behind that still cared about me. Though that wouldn't be a problem. Because there wasn't really anyone left who deeply cared about me.

I had ruined all the relationships I had.
Of course I could text Jane but fear always got the best of me when I took the phone wanting to write her. All the messages I had composed I deleted before sending them to her.
Maybe everyone was better of without me in their lives.
There was just one thing left to do before I could leave.
I needed to get my car. And that meant going to the Jolie-Pitt mansion.

The bus ride flew by in no time.
I took my earplugs out and stepped out of the bus thanking the driver. After a five minute walk up the small hill in Los Feliz I arrived at the gate of Angelinas mansion.
"Damn" I whispered in annoyance. The gate was closed this time.
Meaning I had to ring which could lead to the kids and everyone else noticing me.
I prayed that only Mad was home. He seemed like a good person who would understand me.

With careful steps I walked up to the side of the gate where the ringer was. I pressed the button waiting for a response.
It took a whole minute until the speaker creaked and a voice appeared.
"Ehm hello?"
Thank god it was Maddox. "Hey Maddox. It's me Veronica."
"Oh hi. I'll open the gate. One sec."
"Alright thanks."
The speaker went quiet. The gate opened. I slowly walked up the driveway towards the entrance.
Happiness spread throughout my body as I saw my black Challenger sitting in the driveway.

Maddox came out grinning. "Someone must be happy to have their car back."
I stood with my back to him still inspecting my car. As I turned around Maddox's smile faded and his expression went to pure shock. I forgot that I took of my hoodie of.

I tried hiding my face but it was too late. He stood in front of me taking my head in both of his hands. I had no choice but to look him in the eyes.
"What the fuck Veronica?"
I took a step to the side and pulled my hoodie up again.
"Gez Veronica talk to me what happened. Please tell me that wasn't your adoptive father."
I looked at him and nodded.
He couldn't believe what I said. It took him a second to gather his composure. I had lowered my head again thinking he would just walk away but he didn't.
Maddox hugged me. I didn't know how to respond. I felt awkward being held by someone. Possibly because I hadn't had any real human connection or contact for an entire month.
He released me out of the hug.
"Stay here. I'm sure everyone will be more than happy to welcome you. This will fell like home to you in no time."
"I can't. I'm sorry." There was an awkward silence between us so I decided to change the subject. "Do you have the keyes?"
"Of course. Here." He gave me the car key which I gladly took. "Please think about it. And talk to mum. She misses you like crazy."
I nodded, thanked him and went to the boot of my car to throw the longboard in the Challenger.
As I walked around to the driver side a humming sound could be heard. I looked at Mad in shock. He nodded confirming my thought. Angelina was arriving at the house.
"Gotta go. See you Mad."
I got in the car slamming the door shut and starting the engine.
Mad stoped me from driving as he held a piece of paper in his hand. I let the window down and reached for the piece.
"Here's my number. If you need anything or are in trouble call me."
"Thank you!"
"No problem sis!" I smiled at his words knowing that he meant it.

He stepped aside and let me reverse the car out of parking lot. I put the car in drive and slowly approached the driveway. I saw the white Range Rover slowly driving up the driveway.
I was standing at the side so I wouldn't be visible immediately.

The Rover passed me with an irritated Angelina staring at my car. It was to late to when she realized it was me sitting in the Dodge. She punched the brakes but there was already enough space for me to drive away.
The gate started closing again so I kicked the Gaspedal down as far as I could and raced my car away from the mansion.