Chapter Thirteen

Veronica POV

I sat in the corner of the dull hospital room letting everything pass me like it was the wind on the beach.
I sat there with no emotion in me. No clue what to do next. Lost in time and space.

A nurse came up to me. She tried to talk to me. I didn't listen neither did I hear what she told me.
At some point I just got up and walked out of the room into the hallway.
The nurse ran after me and stood in front of me.
"Hey, are you alright?"
I answered with a cold voice.
"Yes I'm fine."
She looked at me. "You should go home and rest. Do you have a ride there?"
"No but I'll be fine."
The nurse shook her head and told me to wait here.

Soon she came back with a phone and a bag. "Here. That is everything your mother had with her. I'm so sorry for your loss."
I took the bag and nodded. If I hadn't cried the last few hours tears would be bursting out but there weren't any left.
"Can I call someone to pick you up?"
"No I'll just take the bus."
"Are you sure you are going to be alright?"
I nodded still paying nearly no attention to the woman.
"Alright take care of yourself."
Without saying another word I left for the elevator.

After I exited the building I walked towards a bus stop when I noticed that I had nothing with me except my phone.
Even my car was still at Angelina's house.

I decided to just walk home which was a stupid idea because I would have to walk over an hour or two.
After about halb an hour waking in the cold I wasn't able to move my fingers anymore. Trying to warm my hands I rubbed them against each other. After a few minutes I was able to move them without having to wince at the movement.

My phone began to ring. I took it out of my back pocket and looked at the screen. It was Mark.
I picked it up and was greeted by an drunk lulling voice.
"Veronica were are you? Your mother ... oh no wait... she wasn't even your mother..."
"Why the fuck are you drunk Mark?"
"Now now young lady watch your tongue right there. I'm hungry. You have to cook now since my wife is dead."
'How could he say something like that' Tears rolled down my cheeks.
I got angry and shouted into the phone. "You know what, you can go and fuck you drunk ass. I ain't doing shit for you."
I quickly ended the call and was about to put the phone back into my pocket when I saw three new messages.
And they all came from Angelina.

8.31: I hope Joslin is alright. //Angelina

10:23: I heard what happened. Are you alright? Why aren't you at home. Do you need a Ride?
//Angelina

11:03: Please talk to me Veronica. Or tell me that you got home save.//Angelina

I was glad that she still wanted to talk to me after what I had done. But I didn't want to worry her. I decided I would text her in the morning.
As I switched the screen of someone called me again.

I had kinda hoped it to be Angelina. It turned out to be Mark.
I ignored it and but the phone in my pocket.

My phone rang for a couple more times. I didn't bother even looking at the caller once.

I had walked for two hours straight. My legs became tired and I was freezing. Every single movement I made hurt.

Finally I arrived at the street I lived in. I hoped that Mark was already asleep. I wouldn't be able to handle a drunk disgusting man tonight. I got the spare key out of the garden.
The only light burning was a tiny one in the kitchen. The rest of the house was pitch black.
Everything was quite. Seemed like Mark was sleeping. Otherwise I would have a huge problem.

I walked up to the front step and inserted the key. Trying not to make a noise I opened the door slowly. Nothing.
I took a deep breath and walked inside.
After I shut the main door I took a look around. The door to the living room was wide open.
I listened for any sounds but again there was nothing.
To make sure I wouldn't make any sounds while walking I took my shoes off.

I carefully walked up the stairs. None of the doors to the separate rooms were open.
I slipped into my room and closed the door.
Finally I was able to take a deep breath.

As I made myself ready for bed I though about what I would do. I didn't want to stay here but I had no choice.