Chapter Fourteen

Veronica's POV
One month later:

Everything changed the past month. My „father" was now a greedy alcoholic. My relationship with Angelina hasn't improved much. We've meet once since the death of my Mum. It was more a coincidence.  We meet at the shopping center. She asked me for a spare car key so she could drive my car around when I would need it. I didn't want to argue so I just gave it to her.
Since then I haven't seen or heard anything from her. She has probably forgotten about my car or me. As long as she wouldn't ruin my car I was cool with her having it. It was the only thing I had left. My last piece of freedom.
I didn't blame her not calling or texting. I was surprised that she even talked to me when I saw her in the mall.

Since the day Joslin died my live became living hell. I had to earn money after I came home from school since Mark had lost his job. I had to cook, clean, make the washing, go shopping so on. My father only went outside to buy alcohol. He was constantly drunk. He would yell at me that it was my fault Joslin died.

He had never slapped or punched me. Not yet. But the last few days he's been getting worse. He would screen at me to make him dinner or to get him a beer.

It was five in the morning. I got up and showered, got dressed did my makeup and walked downstairs. By now I got used to my new routine.
I would do the washing and cleaning downstairs while Mark was still asleep.
When that was done I did my homework and packed my stuff for school.

At about seven thirty I made breakfast. Pancakes with cream and blueberries.
Since I hadn't had my car and couldn't take Mark's or Joslin's I had to go to school with my long board.

School was my only chance to relax a bit. I hardly payed any attention to the teachers. My grades went down drastically. I used to be an A student. I'm pretty sure that changed to C or even D.
I just hadn't had any time anymore to learn or do my homework.

School ended and I went back home to make lunch for Mark.

I didn't hear him when I got home so I just started making lunch.
During cooking I felt my eyes getting tired.
I wasn't paying attention when taking out the plates when one slipped and crashed in the floor.
"Fuck."
Quickly trying to pick up the shards I heard habt steps approaching.
My heart started beating faster with the second.

"What the fuck did you do."
I heard Mark practically scream at me.
"The plate slipped out of my hand."
"Of course it slipped. Clean it up you dumb useless bitch!"
"I'm sorry." I quickly bent down again picking up what was left of the plate. I didn't notice that I cut myself in the process. My hand started bleeding like crazy.
"What the fuck!? Stop ruining the tiles."
"Sorry." While getting up from the floor I reached for a cloth to stop the bleeding.
"Why did you stop cleaning?"
Mark yelled at me.
"I wanted to stop the bleeding."
"I don't care. Clean the shot you."
"Yes. I will do that when the bleeding stoped."

"No do it now."
"But..." As soon as I spoke I felt a sharp pain in my cheek. Mark just slapped me.
"What the fuck man?"
That was dumb to say because that just pissed him of more.
Next he punched my yaw sending my head to the side.

"You dare to talk to me like that?"
I blocked his next punch with my arm but didn't see his fist flying towards my left eye.
His fist hit me hard and I fell to the ground.
My yaw and eye stung like a bitch.
Mark kicked me in the stomach before leaving the kitchen spating hateful words.

I got up coughing.
'This can't go on like this.'
I had enough of this shit. So I decided that I would leave. It wouldn't matter where I would go as long as it meant not having to stay in this hell whole.
I texted Angelina asking her if I could pick my car up.

She soon texted back telling me that she wasn't home but that Maddox was there and could give me the keys.

I thank her and told her that I would be there in an hour.
Leaving the kitchen, without even cleaning the rest up, I ran upstairs to get my bag.
It was something I had packed to make sure that if something happend I could just take the bag and leave.
I took all the cash we had and left the house not even bothering to look back.