Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Iris Parker

I knew this was gonna happen, but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

"Mommy, where's daddy?" Jamie asked again. I breathed in deeply and turned towards him. The other two looked towards me for my answer. 

I probably answered this a thousand times since we arrived here a week ago and I was getting tired of it, but I needed to suck it up. This was a choice I made. 

"I already told you, honey. We won't be seeing him for a while. Besides, we're with grandpa now. Aren't you happy?" I ask, trying to change the subject, trying to make them feel bad about asking. It was evil, but I had no more options. 

They just kept asking and I was... tired of answering. 

"We're happy..." Jacob started, fiddling with his fingers and looked to his siblings for help. 

"But we want to see daddy." Jace said finally with a pouty lips, a sign that soon, his tears were going to fall. 

I felt a warm tugging in my chest as they said these things. Why is this so hard? 

"I understand, but we have to be away for a while alright? What about we go see aunt Haley and Gaby? It's been a while since we've last seen them." I question for another time. I reach my hand out to Jacob's cheek as I waited for a response, but all he did was stare at me and I knew that he wasn't happy with the way things were.

I turned around and started cleaning the things I used to cook as the triplets ate quietly behind me. 

It's okay... It's hard now, but soon they'll get used to him not being here. Just like before. It'll be just the four of us. 

We'll be happy again. 

-----

I was watching the triplets and Gaby play at the playground as I waited for Haley to come back. For a moment, I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. 

This past week had been a rollercoaster as we try to adjust in a new place again. I was happy to be back home, but I was still worried for the three. I couldn't do anything but feel sorry for them. I just want them to have a normal life. 

I was suddenly snapped from my thoughts when someone put a bottle of water in front of me. It was Haley. My lips immediately formed a smile as I looked towards her. 

"You don't look stressed at all." she starts sarcastically and sits beside me. 

I laughed softly and shook my head. 

"You know Haley... Lately, I don't know if I've been making the right choices. All the logical reasons say that these are the best choices, but why do they feel so wrong?" Haley's hand held mine, comforting me. 

She smiled at me and then she looked up to look at kids playing. 

"Iris, Iris. I really don't know what to say. I think you already know the answer to your questions." 

"But, Haley. I don't know if I can forget. I tried, I try. And I'm afraid that I will only use the past to hurt him, me, and especially them." I say and look towards the triplets. 

After I said that, she rolled her eyes at me as if I was some whiny brat, which I probably was anyways. 

"Look, hun. Everything now is up to you. I'm not telling you to go back to him, pretend everything is okay and voilà, a perfect family. It doesn't work like that. Did you really give him a chance? Or did you just try to pretend like your problems didn't exist and that's what ate you up inside? Did you go back to the past every time he tried to make it work? Forgiving is a process, dear. You will not forget, sure, but at least you'll forgive." Haley said lengthly. 

I sighed and avoided her gaze. Every word she said hit my heart and it made me wonder how exactly she was saying the right words. 

Did I really give Liam a chance? Have I really forgiven? 

These questions started rolling in my head as scenes replayed. The answer to them, I don't really know. 

I chuckled silently and shrugged. 

"Iris, you know all I want is the best for you. But, look at them, hun. Ever since we saw them again, all they've been telling me about is their dad. You have a chance to complete your family. Me and Gab... Well, we don't have that chance." she says and laughs, trying to make the atmosphere light. But I felt her pain, I understood what she was trying to convey. 

"I understand, Haley. Thank you." I said sincerely and hugged her tightly. 

What have I ever done to deserve people that care for me so much? 

We stayed that way for a while, content with watching the kids play and content with the silence. My mind was still a haywire of thoughts, but slowly, everything is getting untangled. 

Everything is still a bit foggy, but I'm sure that soon, everything will clear up soon. 

"Actually... I have something to tell you." Haley said all of a sudden. There was a hint of sadness in her voice and my heart skip a beat, a sign of warning that she was going to say a bad news. 

I chuckled nervously. "You're scaring me." 

"Yeah... Uhm, my family called." she said lowly, but I didn't fail to pick up the happiness in her voice. I gasped and put my hands on my mouth. 

"Oh my! H-Haley, that's-that's great!" Finally, she smiled and looked at me. I could see the tears forming her eyes, but nothing like the ones I've seen before, these were tears of happiness. 

"Yes, you know how long I've dreamed of this." 

I knew, of course. I remember she used to call me at night, sobbing about how much she missed her family. Although she was slightly bitter, I knew how much she loved her family. 

"Of course, Haley! So what's going to happen now?" I asked excitedly. But then, her smile turned to a frown. 

"That's the thing... they're telling me to come home." 

Oh.

-----

HEY EVERYONE! 

I'm so sorry I've been gone for so long. I was stuck in a huge writer's block and well... that's why I haven't updated in so long. 😫 

BUT, I JUST WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND LOVE FOR IRIS AND LIAM 💕 , you guys don't know how much y'all make me smile. 

Updates may still be slow since I'll try to catch up with The Alpha Broke the Omega and Perfectly Imperfect. And I'm planning to publish a book that just contains poems, rants and thoughts that I have. If y'all are interested 💕

So again, I'll try to update as soon as I can and in the mean time, share your thoughts with everything that's been happening with our problematic couple. 

ILY y'all 💕 and don't forget to vote! 

carpe diem

-sky