Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Iris Parker

It was the fourth day without news on Liam. I had been sick of worry and so were the three. Even without telling them of anything, they probably felt how worried I was.

Jace had been crying for his dad, worried that someone might kidnap him again and that Liam wouldn't be there to save him the second time.

It hurt my heart when I heard him say those words and all I could do was embrace him, telling him an empty promise that Liam would for sure come back.

I knew he was going to come back because if he wasn't, I was for sure going to resent him for life. He promised that we were all going to be together as a family and I needed him to keep that.

It would be cruel wouldn't it? To give us a complete family only for it to be taken away so suddenly. That's why I needed him back.

It was past midnight and I had just succeeded in putting the triplets to sleep when my phone buzzed.

Immediately, I took it from my pocket to see. My heart fell seeing that the text message was from Liam.

Liam:

I'm coming home soon. I'm sorry for making you all worry. Talk to you later, I love you.

I called the number but it went straight to voicemail. The tears were building up in relief that he was safe. I closed my eyes and whispered a small prayer of gratitude. Thank goodness he was safe. At least he was safe and that was enough for me. And he was coming home, he said.

I didn't know how long it would take him to get home, but I'm happy.

I hurriedly went downstairs by the doorsteps of the mansion, clinging tightly onto my phone as if it would bring Liam back home sooner. The time read ten past eleven. The day had been a tiring one, trying to keep the triplets busy so they forget the worry they felt for Liam.

The past two days had been like that, they somehow didn't believe that Liam was away on a business trip without telling them first. They were so sure of it and so they concluded that something must have happened.

The cold evening breeze made me wrap my arms around myself as I sat down a couch by the front. I felt my eyes dropping, but I struggled to fight the drowsiness. I haven't had sleep from these past four days.

How could I? How could I rest when I knew that somewhere out there, my husband could have been in danger?

'I will just rest my head over here...' I whispered myself as I lay my head against the armrest of the couch. It felt so soft and my eyes instantly shutting themselves. Finding myself falling into the temptation, I sit up straight.

No, I can't sleep.

I have to be awake when Liam came home. I have to welcome him home, tell him that he's... home.

I have to--

~

My eyes were closed, but I was... moving? Strong arm wrapped around me as I was being carried somewhere. Feeling the familiarity of the touch and smell, my eyes flutter open instantly.

And there he was.

Liam Parker, in all his glory.

My eyes water as I stared up to him, he hadn't noticed me awake yet, but I could see the tiredness painted on his face. His jaw were lightly stubbled from the lack of shaving. His eyes glassy.

"Liam..." I barely manage to whisper. His green pasture-like eyes meet mine and his lips instantly lift up. He was currently carrying me up the stairs and he was now leading me to our bedroom.

"Why did you sleep outside? It's cold." he reprimanded softly, one of his hands momentarily letting me go to open the door. Finally, he lets me down.

I bite my bottom lip, trying to hold back the tears.

His hair was disheveled, a proof that he had ran his hand over them many times. The first two buttons of his dress shirt unbuttoned, telling me that he was in a difficult situation.

Although he had just let me go, I wrapped my arms around him, engulfing him in a tight embrace. "I hate it when you do this." my tears were warm and salty, but I bury my face against his chest so he doesn't see my tears.

"I'm sorry, I had to do this." Liam said, his hand going behind my back. I pull away for a bit and stared at him, showing that I was still partly mad.

"Yes, but you could've at least told me! I could've been there for you, I could've--" before I had even realized it, his lips were already on mine.

As much as I had wanted to be mad, I couldn't. The kiss was slow and passionate, enough to communicate what we felt for each other.

When we parted to take a breather, he took my hands, holding them up and kissing them. "I'm sorry, but I had to do this." I was going to protest once more when he saw the look in my eyes. "Alone. This was a battle I had to end alone. I cannot bring you or the kids into it, you know that. I want us to live normal lives, I want us to live as what we are-- a family."

He drops my hands and proceeds to plant small kisses on my forehead. "My dad told me that love requires sacrifice. I wanted to take control of our family business for the longest time, I wanted to be the sole head of it. I thought my life would be complete after I was the head of Aquile Neres, but losing and having you all here now opened my eyes to what really mattered. Thank you." Liam ended as he kissed my forehead, truly feeling grateful.

My heart warmed up at what he said. I took a deep breath before breathing out.

Liam is always too stubborn. When he has mind set on something, he was going to do it without fail.

There are still many things I didn't about Liam's past and the world that he had tried to so hard to obtain. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to know.

His ambitions had driven him to be a person that he never was. It led him to a lonely road, he sought for control that eventually led to his brokenness.

As we kept our arms around each other for who knows how long, he buried his face on my shoulder and rested.

Liam seems to believe that he could never owe up to his mistakes. But he was wrong.

"I'm so proud of you." I whispered gently, running a hand through his hair.

I heard him huff in disbelief. "What is there to be proud of? I'm a mess."

"Aren't we all? But what's important is that you're fixing the things where you went wrong. Not a lot of people can do that."

This time, he lifted his head to look at me. His eyes wet with unshed tears that he refused to let down. The vulnerability had taken me by surprise, but it didn't take long before I put on an honest smile.

Don't you find that a man's complete honesty is attractive?

He sighed and looked up. "I guess if you put it that way."

--

Hello lovelies! 

I'm so sorry that I have not updated for the longest time. 😫

I've been in my busiest time and recently found time to write again. 

I hope you liked this chapter and look forward for next week's update!

much love
-skyy 💕