Chapter 8

Hajime's Third Person P.O.V.

The air was heavy outside, due to the air that had just let up a few hours ago. The streets were soaked with rain, turning the concrete into a darker color.

Although Hajime had told Ko over and over again not to push himself to stand up, the albino did not heed his words.

"See? I'm fine. Stop fussing over me. Besides, it should be the other way around." Ko spoke over his shoulder.

"But-" Hajime started.

Ko waved his index finger side to side in a "nuh-uh" gesture.

As they walked down the sidewalk back to the house, Hajime could see that Ko was wincing every time he rooks a step forward, despite his attempts to hide it.

He sighed.

~

The book was exactly where they had left it yesterday morning. Amid all the chaos, they had forgotten all about it.

"Hey Ko," Hajime suddenly asked.

"Yeah?" the psycho replied, still taking off his shoes.

"Can I... open the book?"

Ko stumbled forward in surprise.

"NO! Don't ever open the book unless you HAVE to."

"Then can anyone else open it for me?"

"No. You're bound to this book, which means that only you can open it. Anyone else, except me, can touch the book but are not able to open the book. The only way they could ever possibly open the book is if they break the bond between you and it, which by breaking means killing you."

Hajime raised an eyebrow.

"Well. That's complicated."

His thoughts ran all over the place. His curiosity wanted him to open the purple leather covers, but at the same time, a huge warning symbol blared in his brain.

Maybe it would just be better if he didn't think about it at all.

A large thump occurred behind him.

"Wha-?"

Ko had collapsed onto the wooden floor, breathing heavily.

"Oh no." He said nonchalantly. "It seems that my wound has opened up again...."

As if on cue, a dark red stain began forming on Ko's jacket, indicating that it had bled through both his shirt and coat.

"Eh? Hajime what are you doing?"

The brunet picked up Ko bridal style.
His gaze shifted to anything but Ko's face.

"What do you think I'm doing? I'm carrying you."

He walked over to the bed and placed Ko gently down.

"How can you possibly care for trash like me?" Ko stated.

"...Don't call yourself trash. Do I need to repeat it again? Never call yourself trash. Ever. Again."

A smile made its way onto Ko's lips.

"Awww~ Hinata-kun cares about me~"

"S-shut up!"

Stay cool. Stay cool. He repeated over and over again.

If he were to express or even feel embarrassment right now, Ko would tease him to death.

Screw the stupid oath. He fumed inwardly.
Hajime traveled over to the bathroom and grabbed the first aid kit from the top shelf of the bathroom cabinet.

"Hey Ko, I'm going to fix your wound up ok?"

A soft snore escaped Ko's lips.

Oh, so he was asleep already. That made Hajime's job much easier.

The blood had soaked the bandages underneath the shirt, staining the white cloth red.

He quickly unwrapped them and observed the wound.

Ah. The stitches had come undone.
But that wasn't the worst problem in his hands right now.

The biggest problem was that.... there were no stitches in the house.

The bleeding didn't seem to stop either.

Agrh... What am I supposed to do? Ko can't leave my side, but I need to buy stitches...

Then it came to him.

What if...

He had to try it, to save Ko.

He looked directly at the face of the sleeping albino. It was worth a shot.

"Ko. I order you to stay here until I get back."

The collar around the pale boy's neck grew a vibrant red, then faded back to a dull color.

It must have worked, for when even after Hajime finished placing pressure on the wound by strapping a towel on top of Ko's torso to try and stop the bleeding and stepped outside of the door, Ko was still on the bed.

Phew...

~

"Urgh. That lady near the counter just ticked me off!" Hajime irritably spoke to himself. "She even had the guts to flirt with me!" He punched in the number to the door.

"I said no, but she still tried to seduce me! AGh! Pesky women," he blabbered on. "Geez..."

He immediately got to work. one stitch at a time, until the injury closed up. His mind was in a crisis. The injury opening up again had been the final straw.

Hajime didn't want to see blood again. More importantly, he couldn't bear to see the people around him suffer anymore. It was time he learned how to defend himself. 

He wanted to stop being a burden to others.

He didn't want to rely and depend on others.

And that's why he was going to learn how to fight or at least self-defense. He was pretty certain that he had seen a computer in one of the rooms before...

Aha.

A computer lay before him. It was now or never.

He pressed the power button.

Monosoft is waking up...

A tiny circle appeared on the screen.

When the computer finished booting up, the first thing Hajime searched up was how to defend himself. The basics and the foundation of fighting.

"So you go like this and... this?" He attempted to practice.

He lacked the necessary muscles to actually inflict much damage, so he guessed he could carry a weapon wherever he went.

A soft voice at the door flowed to his ears. "Hinata-kun? What are you doing?"

The brunet froze in place.

Oh, frick.