"Chapter 57"

Nagito's Third Person P.O.V.

2 years later...

It was the same day, two years later. The same day on which Hajime died.

Nagito was ready to sacrifice his hand to cause a time paradox and try to save Hajime. 

"Are you ready?" Kirigiri asked the white-haired boy with a concerned expression plastered on his face.

The albino took in a shaky breath, clenching and unclenching his hands to help ease his anxiousness. 

"Yes."

The purple-haired detective looked at Makoto with a doubtful face, as if silently asking him whether this was a good idea or not. The brown-haired male also had an uneasy aura surrounding him, but with much hesitancy, nodded his head. It was Nagito's decision after all. 

The servant's heart thudded against his chest like a hammer against a nail. His hands were clammy with sweat and invisible perspiration formed at the nape of his neck. He was absolutely nervous about this. To be honest, he didn't know if this was a good idea or not. Many things could go wrong. He could fail to save the one he loved again. 

"Let's do it." He breathed out in a whisper. 

With a nod of her head, Kirigiri directed Nagito into a room filled with medical devices and such. He lay on the table while the detective placed needles into his pale skin. A low humming started in one of the machines, and the anesthetics kicked in shortly after.

The boy's eyes fluttered shut, the worst of his fears disappearing along with the darkness

"Urgh," The boy groaned. 

"It's about time the drug wore off," Makoto said from the other side of the room. "How do you like your new hand by the way?" He nodded to the albino's left arm.

"My new hand?" He spoke in a raspy breath. The male lifted up his left hand with an unfamiliar stiffness that had settled in it before. 

A gray, robotic arm replaced his normal one. He tried moving it despite that stiffness, and mechanical noises erupted from his artificial arm. 

"Now what are you going to do?" Makoto asked. "You've never actually explained how this worked."

Nagito sighed, a feeling of impending doom resting on his shoulders.

"I'm actually not sure..."

From the past memories collected by his future self, it hadn't clearly stated what he should do. All there was to it was a bright flash of light right after the surgery, and then Nagito was whisked away into the past.

But where was that bright light now? Shouldn't it be appearing by now?

The brown-haired boy noticed the uneasy look on the servant's face. 

"There's something troubling you," He stated. "What is it?"

"Well... there's supposed to be something that happens right after the surgery, but it isn't happening." 

A feeling of dread overwhelmed his thoughts. He started panicking, his breathing turning ragged. 

"Just wait for a few moments. It may come later than expected." Makoto said.