Chapter 48

Hajime's Third Person P.O.V.

The wind whipped through his brown locks of hair while he ran down the mountain, careful not to slip and tumble off the trail. Rocks tumbled underneath his shoes as he unsheathed his sword, the edge of the silver blade glinting in the sunlight.

As soon as he arrived to the village, screams of terror shot through his eardrums. The war had begun. By now, the opposing forces had broken through their first line of defense, barreling towards the second with incredible strength.

An albino stood in the middle of the village's troops, commanding them.

"Ko!" Hajime shouted.

Ko's face sagged with relief.

"Hajime?! Your battle tatics aren't working! No matter how we execute the plan, the Despairs are still pushing through!" He decapitated a red eyes soldier while he spoke, his eyes never leaving the battlefield.

Before the brunette could answer, a sharp scream of fright rippled through the mountains.

The two boys knew that voice. Chiaki's voice.

"GO!" Ko bellowed through the clashing of metal.

Without another glance at the albino, Hajime dashed back into the evergreen trees. His legs screamed in agonizing pain when he ran, begging him to stop. With a determined scowl on his face, Hajime continued sprinting as fast as he could, ignoring the protesting in the lower half of his body.

"CHIAKI!" He roared, screeching to a halt in front of the mouth of the cave.

A pale hand gripped against the pinkette's throat, its ruby red nail polish glinting maliciously in threat.

"My, my, look who's here to save his bestie. Hajimeme Hinatta." A voice dripping with sweet poison called from next to the girl.

"Let go of her, Junko." He held his sword in front of him, signaling that he was ready to strike any moment.

"You have a lovely place here. Wouldn't it be nice if we all had a reunion? You, me, Chiaki, and that albino?" She grinned, revealing her shark-like teeth.

Hajime took a step foward while raising his blade.

"Ah, ah." The orange-yellow haired mastermind tutted. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Specks of silver appeared in his vision. He realized why. She had placed her people in the trees, armed with deadly crossbows.

"And if my calculations are correct..." She trailed off, counting her fingers. "They should be here by now."

As if on cue, a pack of soldiers entered the glimmering cave, restraining a boy in his mid teens by his arms.

Hajime's heart dropped to the bottom of his stomach. They had blown through the village's resistance so easily and far much quicker than what he had expected.

A shrill laugh erupted from the girl holding Chiaki.

"It fills you with despair, doesn't it? Both of your friends are now in my hands, and there's nothing you can do about it." Placing her finger pads on her bloody lips, she grinned, the corners of her mouth turning upward. "Shall we commence despair now?"

She flung Chiaki's fragile body at one of her soldiers.

"Kill her," she commanded.

Spears were raised in unison.

"No!" Hajime cried, running forward to attempt to save his friend.

However, an arrow cut through his thigh, the pain snaking up his leg. He fell to the floor and his vision blurred with tears. His sword lay discarded at his side, now nothing but a simple tool.

He was always so useless. He couldn't do anything. He was going to let Chiaki die in front of him.

Ko let out a roar of rage. He hit the man holding him with the back of his head, breaking his nose.

"Chiaki!" He dived towards the pinkette.

His attempt was futile when another one of the despairs pinned him to the ground.

Hajime could only watch his friend's execution from afar, useless and beaten.

Chiaki's head turned towards her two friends one last time. She smiled at the two boys, her shoulder shaking through the tears that were streaming out of her pink orbs.

"Thank you," She mouthed at the same time twelve spears struck her in the middle.

The ceiling suddenly swarmed in the brunette's vision and he threw up on the floor, the pain in his leg forgotten.

The girl's limp body fell to the ground with a loud thud.

"AHAHAHAHA!!!" The mastermind laughed with glee. "My executions are always so fascinating and creative, don't you think?" She walked over to the collapsed brunette and placed her fingers on the bottom of his chin, tilting it upward so his olive eyes would meet her gaze.

"You're next," she picked up his sword, exaggerating the movement while licking her lips. "Say goodbye~" She sang, bringing the blade down upon its owner's neck.

He didn't mind if he died. He was just a burden to everyone. He hadn't been able to save his best friend. Now he would die with that guilt.

Squeezing his eyes shut, the brunette braced himself for the worst.

There was no pain. Huh?

He slowly opened his eyes. In front of him was a puddle of blood which continuously grew larger as droplets landed from above.

Heavy pants came from above Hajime.

Ko.

Blood gushed from the albino's left hand, which was now gone.

"Don't... touch... him," The male breathed. He was slightly unsteady on his feet due to the amount of blood he was losing per minute.

"Whoa. This is like something from a storybook. Such a noble sacrifice." Stars appeared in the mastermind's eyes. "A lover's sacrifice. How cliche."

Hajime was gaping at the albino, unable to process what he had done. Because of him, Hajime was still alive. But because of the brunette, Ko had lost a hand.

Because of him, Chiaki was dead.

Because of him, the village was wiped out.

Everything was his fault.

The heavy weight in his chest tripled, making it hard for him to breathe.

"Well, since I didn't get to execute Hajime, I guess I'll have to satisfy my death cravings by killing you." She readied Hajime's sword, the blade near Ko's neck.

The olive eyed boy's heart stopped. No, no, no, no, no. This was not happening again.

"Goodbye, @$!%^& Ko•□♤°*."

And then everything went pitch black.