Chapter 19

Ko's Third Person P.O.V.

The albino gracefully ran from street to street, his legs barely grazing the ground. His heart thumped wildly inside him, from both fear and excitement.

He had to go faster. His leg muscles were screaming in protest now. The wind whispered beside his ears as Ko continued to runm He wouldn't stop until he reached his destination. He couldn't stop. If he were to be even one minute late, he didn't want to know what would happen to Hajime.

His feet screeched to a sudden stop in front of a large warehouse. Ah yes, the original warehouse cliche. It was a warehouse everytime. He was getting sick of them. 

Ko's stomach lurched as he walked into the empty place. His footsteps echoed around him when he walked onto the stone floors. 

There was no one to be seen. Now, you may think that Ko had came to the wrong place since there's obviously not a single soul to be seen, but you're wrong.

Ko's jade eyes darted around the room for a moment before landing on a pile of wooden boxes that were marked, in caps, the word fragile.

Very suspicious indeed. He mused to himself.

The boxes were surprisingly light. Probably because they had nothing in them, adding on to Ko's suspicions.

Under the boxes was a small trapdoor that was big enough to fot one person at a time in.

Aha.

Ko had hit the jackpot. What incredible luck. He lifted the cover of the trapdoor, making sure that it made no sound whatsoever. 

It was pitch dark in the tunnel leading down to the warehouse. Ko carefully made his way down the ladder, careful not to slip.

A warm, dim golden light bathed his hair a yellowish color.

He had arrived.

A large casino sat before his very eyes. All the seats were empty though, and no one was to be seen.

Lanterns hung on the ceiling, illuminating the room with the dim light. Cards and poker chips lay scattered on the tables, as if everyone had left in a rush. All this was supposed to decieve Ko.

He knew better.

No one was here in the first place.

Only a small group of people dominated the whole casino.

And that whole group was led none other by-

The click of a gun barrel sounded behind Ko. He felt the cold tip of the gun barrel touch the crown of his head. He placed his hands into his coat pockets.

"Celeste Ludenburg. What an honor it is to be greeted so warmly by you." Ko said in monotone.

"Back to you. What brings you here?" She asked.

"I'm taking back what I'm supposed to protect."

In a swift move, he turned around and snatched the gun away from the raven-haired girl. He aimed it at her forehead, cocking it.

Several clicks appeared at the sides of Ko.
"So He sent you here didn't He?" He never let his poker face down.

She grinned.

"I see you're as observant as ever."

His finger gripped the trigger harder, threatening to shoot.

He noticed Celeste's ruby red eyes glance towards the tiny movement of his finger.

"Ah, ah." She cooed, waving her finger in a "no no" signal.

"Let's play a game shall we?"

Ko blankly stared back at the gambler.

"I don't have time for games." He replied.

"Your little treasure doesn't have much time either.

Ko did not reply or even react to the statement.

Celesye chuckled.

"How about this? A bet."

"I have no time for bets."

Celeste ignored him and continued to speak.

"Play a card game with me. If you win, I'll let your little treasure go. If I win though, I'll keep him as my toy, and you watch while I continue to break his fragile body." She snickered.

There was no reaction from Ko when she said that.

"I accept." He said nonchalantly.

"Since I proposed the bet, I'll choose the game."

"That's fine with me. Let's get this over with already. I don't have much time." He sighed.

"Your treasure doesn't either."

His eyebrow twitched.

The two rivals sat at opposite ends of a table, intently staring at one another. Both were masters of poker faces. They never let their emotions show when they didn't want to. This was going to be tough.

"The card game for today will be Big Two. Are you familiar with that?"

Ko nodded wearily. Time was running short. He had to comply to Celeste's wishes before anything bad happened to Hajime.

The dealer shuffled the cards and passed out thirteen cards to each person.

Ko glanced at his cards, ordering them into the right positions.

Three, four, five, seven, nine, jack, queen, ace, and two.

He had two threes (spades and hearts), one four (diamond), three fives (club, heart, and spade), two sevens (diamond and hearts), one jack (joker), one queen (spades), one ace (hearts), and two twos (spades and hearts).
The purpose of this game was to get rid of all of one's cards.

And right off the bat, Ko had a full house.

Three fives and two threes.

He also had the highest card, the two of spades.

What luck. After all, he was the Ultimate Luckster, which means that he was stuck through a cycle of bad and good luck all the time.

The two rivals played the heated game, not showing an ounce of emotion even as they played.

Ko was now down to two cards, and so was Celeste.

It was currently now Ko's turn.

He placed down his five of spades because they had just flipped over another deck just before.

Celeste glanced at the card he had placed down, and back at hers.

"Pass," she said.

Ko slapped down his last card, which he had saved for the very last.

His trump card.

The two of spades.

"I win."

Celeste narrowed her eyes, sweeping her right leg over her left.

She sighed.

"As expected from the Ultimate Luckster. I guess even I can't beat you. Your luck gave you good cards. Oh well. I guess I'll have to give you your reward."

She beckoned him forward.

"Hurry up would you? I haven't got all day, and neither has he."

Ko followed Celeste into a dark tunnel, the darkness consuming their bodies until the two faded away.