Chapter 49

Hajime's Third Person P.O.V.

When Hajime came to, he was writing in a book. His hand suddenly stopped mid-word.

Exactly why was he writing? What was he writing? Where was he?

His eyes caught the bright glow of a fire crackling in front of him, the embers of light warming his cold body.

Staring down at the black words, he reread what he had written down.

I couldn't do anything. Her limp body fell to the floor, followed by a sharp ringing in my ears. She was dead. She was dead because I had failed to save her.

I was weak, unable to protect myself from the arrow that embedded itself into my thigh. My friend sacrificed his hand for me. A hand that will never grow back because of me.

Now they're both dead. She with spears through her fragile body. He with lifeless eyes when his head separated from his body.

Only if I had the chance to-

The tip of a quill poked into the blank space beside it, a puddle of ink already bleeding through the parchment.

Regaining his train of thought, he continued writing.

-go back in time and save them. I would give anything to see them well and alive again. I would sacrifice myself for the people who gave me a purpose in life. And so I have written their lives in this book, since... since stories never die.

He closed the purple leathered book, sighing.

The brunette had barely escaped the orange-blond haired girl who had filled him with Despair. He had ran through the trees and bushes, their branches snagging in his hair and scratching his arms and legs. He ran and ran until he deemed it was safe.

Now what would he do?

He stared at the twinkling lights in the sky, pondering over the question. A memory suddenly resurfaced from the bottom of his mind.

"Hey Hajime! Ko! Over here!" Chiaki yelled from across the fields filled with floating yellow lights.

"I caught one of those light bugs!" She exclaimed with glee.

"It's called a firefly." Hajime pointed out.

"They're so pretty!" Her eyes widened in awe as the flirefly

"Hajime! Chiaki! Look at the sky! You can see the stars perfectly from here!" Ko pointed a finger to the infinite midnight blue sky, falling on his back.

He placed his hands behind his head, staring up at the sky.

Hajime and Chiaki followed his lead.

"Whoa! You're right!" Hajime whispered breathlessly. "Look! There's the Big Dipper, Polaris, and so many other constellations!"

They continued to talk, the night breeze  running through their hair, creating a calming aura.

"Hey," Chiaki started. "Let's promise each other that whatever happens, we will still stick with each other. All right?"

"Well of course! You guys are my hope after all." Ko laughed.

"Yeah..." Hajime trailed off.

"But obviously Hajime is the bigger 'hope' in your heart. Right, Ko?" Chiaki wiggled her eyebrows.