Chapter 24

Ko's Third Person P.O.V.

The light above the two boys flickered and went out, leaving the room in pitch-black darkness.

"What... just happened?" Hajime asked.

"Maybe the light in this room burned out. It is old after all." Ko shrugged.

"We should see if there are any spare light bulbs." Hajime stood up, feeling his way to the door.

"Alright then."

As they walked out the door, the hallway was also enveloped in a blanket of black.

That's weird, those light bulbs were new... Ko frowned.

"It's pitch dark in here. My best guess is that it's a blackout," Hajime flipped the light switches, but there were no lights.

Ko fumbled inside his coat pocket.

"Wait a second, I think I have a flashlight in here." He pulled out the long metallic device and turned it on. A ray of golden light burst from the front of the device.

"I'm going to check outside. Come on." He beckoned Hajime.

                                                      ~

The pair climbed up the ladder towards the surface, Ko holding the flashlight between his teeth.

The bright rays of the sun shone upon his hair, drenching him in warmth.

Ko helped Hajime out of the sewer and glanced around the neighborhood.

"It's hard to know if there's a blackout since it's early in the morning." He pointed out.

Hajime looked a bit disappointed, but that was probably just him. Ko missed the days when he could feel the brunet's emotions that would easily be exposed to his mind. But now, since Hajime had lost most of his optimistic features, Ko hadn't been able to feel anything inside Hajime's heart.

Ko's chest almost burst with happiness when he had managed to make Hajime blush. Oh, how he loved the hope that was resting within the brunet.

Ko sighed.

"I guess we have to spend the day outside since we clearly can't see anything in the house.." Ko looked towards Hajime.

"That's fine with me." Hajime shrugged.

"Ah, such bad luck." Ko frowned.

"Where do you want to go now?" Hajime asked Ko with his hands in his pockets.

"Hmmmm.." Ko tapped his chin thoughtfully.

"How about the park?"

"The park?"

"Yeah! It's a cute place!" He grinned at Hajime.

Hajime looked at the albino with bored eyes.

That hurt Ko's heart. His smile faded.

"We can go somewhere else if you don't want to." Ko looked at the ground.

"No, no, no. The park's fine with me."

Ko's head snapped up.

"Really?"

Hajime nodded.

The albino hugged the brunet.

"Wha-what are you doing?" Hajime stuttered, clearly embarrassed, but refused to show it.

Ko smirked. He loved his luck.

He slammed a hand on the wall behind Hajime, surprising the brunet.