Chapter 1

Stiles hates forests at night. Of course, they all have to come out here and search for some bat shit crazy witches. Apparently, the witches had been casting random spells around town for scarifies, or something worse than that. Of course, Scott had told them to split up, and of course, no one had volunteered to go with the human. Does he need to wear a sign that says 'pack human is fragile,' honestly what is wrong with these people? 

Stiles mumbles to himself about incompetent Alphas and dark forests as he keeps walking. He can hardly see anything, and how is he even supposed to contact the pack if he does? Sometimes Scott seems to forget Stiles is human, scratch that the whole pack does and it's irritating. If the witches find him they will probably turn him into a frog or something equally terrible.

There's a howl from behind Stiles, he recognizes it as Derek's. He doesn't even know how he can tell their howls apart, he just knows. Stiles starts sprinting in that direction and stumbles across a clearing. Derek and Scott are facing each other, Derek's back is to Stiles, but Scott is wolfed out, looking confused.

"Scott? Derek? What's going on?" Stiles calls, Scott's head whips to Stiles, but so does Derek's, bright blue eyes blazing. "Did you guys find the witches?" 

"Stiles, get back. There's something wrong with Derek." Scott yells in panic. "I think the witches found him." Stiles frowns at Scott, turning his attention on Derek. Stiles starts to move away from the wolf whose eyes are a bright blue in the dark sky tracking his every movement.

Derek tunes his whole body towards Stiles when Stiles starts to move away. Derek begins moving with Stiles, every time he tries to move back, Derek moves forwards. Stiles looks to Scott, trying to ask what to do, or where to go. Scott is watching Derek with something like confusion and disbelief.

Scott finally snaps out of it and jumps in front of Derek. Derek takes his eyes off Stiles to glare at Scott, and snarls, his claws and teeth come out and Stiles' heart skips a beat in fear. For both Scott and Derek.

"Derek!" Stiles yells, Derek stops and turns to him. "That's Scott, you don't want to hurt him do you?" Stiles asks, keeping Derek focused on him. "He's your friend."

Slowly, Derek's claws and fangs recede, he moves towards Stiles, Stiles shoots Scott a look that tells him not to interfere. Scott moves out of the way and Derek moves to Stiles' side, Derek sniffs Stiles and huffs.

"Yo Sourwolf, what's going on?" Stiles asks nervously and Derek growls at him but moves closer to him. Stiles laughs shakily and shoots Scott a 'what the hell is happening look,' to which Scott shrugs, Stiles rolls his eyes at him.

____________

Derek doesn't move from Stiles' side, and every time Scott gets too close, he snarls and tries to nip at him, it only takes a look from Stiles for Derek to put his fangs away. Derek still doesn't like Scott close to him, Scott just keeps his distance but watches Derek carefully. Scott's worried Derek will try to hurt Stiles, even if Stiles isn't.

"Scott you need to relax, I'm not even a werewolf and I can smell your anxiety." Stiles snorts at Scott's squeak of protest.

"Whatever." Scott pouts and Stiles laughs at the face he's making.

"You did text the pack and tell them to head to the loft right?" Stiles remembers suddenly, turning to watch Scott.

"Um, I did. A while ago, I think they all seen it." Scott responds, pulling his phone out. He checks and sees a response from everyone and nods at Stiles.

Stiles goes to stand closer to Scott to read over his shoulder, which puts him in between Derek and Scott. Derek snarls quietly, but Stiles doesn't hear him, Scott does but doesn't pay any attention to it. Stiles reads over Scott's message quickly and then looks at him.

"You might want to inform them about Derek, just so he doesn't bite anyone that gets too close." Stiles shrugs innocently, and Scott nods and sends the group chat the message letting them know to avoid touching Derek and to not get too close to him, he says they'll explain at the loft.

"Done. That was a good idea dude." Scott says, he claps Stiles on the shoulder and the next thing either of them knows, Scott is thrown back and Stiles is turned into Derek's chest and the wolf is snarling at Scott.

Apparently, Derek doesn't want anyone touching Stiles either. Stiles growls at Derek and pushes on his chest forcefully, Derek backs up but keeps Stiles within arm's reach. Stiles stares at him in disbelief, Derek is standing there watching him, and waiting for him to say something to him. Stiles' eyebrows pinch in anger.

"What the hell man?!" He raises his voice a little and Derek whines and bares his throat at Stiles. Stiles flails away from him and stares at him in shock. He doesn't know what to do to get Derek to not submit to him, he's human, not an Alpha.

Stiles sighs and reaches a hand out to scent mark Derek, Derek leans into the touch and seems content. Stiles briefly wonders if Derek will let anyone else but Stiles be around him. He wonders if Peter would be able to get Derek to listen to him, but no way in hell would that happen. Derek would most likely bite his hand off before listening to Peter. He brushes his thumb over Derek's pulse point and then lets his hand fall back to his side.

Isaac and Derek have a good bond, they care for each other, so maybe he'll listen to Isaac and won't try to snarl or bite his head off, Stiles turns his attention to where Scott's been thrown, to see him laying by a tree not moving. Stiles turns and glares hard at Derek, Derek just tilts his head in confusion and whines again.

"Look at what you did to Scott!" Stiles snaps and narrows his eyes, and Derek whines baring his throat again, Stiles sighs but ignores Derek in favour of making sure Scott's okay.

He makes his way down the steep slope in the earth and crouches next to Scott, he shakes Scott's shoulder and from behind him, Derek snarls at him. Stiles turns and bares his teeth in a way that doesn't look human and Derek stills. Scott groans and Stiles sighs in relief, he seems okay.

"You alright Scotty?" He questions, Scott nods shakily and peers at Derek over Stiles' shoulder.

"I think it's you he doesn't want anyone touching." Scott grumbles and Stiles flails.

"Oh shut up," Stiles grumbles, slapping Scott lightly, Scott chuckles.

____________

The three of them get to the loft without further incident, though Derek refused to let Scott sit in the passenger side of the Jeep. They didn't want to argue with Derek, so they let him have his way, it wasn't like they could argue with him he was going with snarls, growls, whines and bared teeth at this point.

Once they're all out of the Jeep, they head inside where everyone is already waiting for them. Everyone keeps their distance from Derek, although they all look confused to see Derek standing so close to Stiles. Peter's sitting on the staircase as usual, so he can see everyone and all the exits, he's a little paranoid. If they were going to do something to him, they would've already. Erica and Boyd are sitting on the love seat together, close together. Lydia, Jackson, and Allison are sitting on the couch, and Isaac is sitting on the floor in front of the trio, Kira next to him. Liam and Mason are standing next to each other, close to the couches, but far from the trio that just entered the room.

"What's going on?" Isaac asks curiously, eyeing Derek suspiciously.

"Well, Derek was acting very strange, I found him in the woods and he was snarling at me, flashing his eyes. Stiles heard Derek's howl, and then he was behind us, and Derek didn't seem to want to leave Stiles' side, so he stuck with Stiles and is being super overprotective. He threw me into a tree for getting too close!" Scott simply explains and raises his voice at the end.

"So, no touching Derek until we figure out what exactly is happening," Stiles concludes.

Liam sighs. "He's not flashing his eyes or snarling right now." He states, and both Stiles and Scott exchange a look.

"Well, if you want to come over here maybe he'll startup," Stiles responds sarcastically, Liam rolls his eyes at Stiles. Scott suppresses a laugh, Liam glares at Scott, Peter smirks in amusement at the exchange.