Chapter 5

A week later, Peter and Stiles go through a lot of Deaton's old books, looking for a way to transfer the Alpha spark into someone else. There's a lot on how to pass a spark on, but there isn't any about true Alpha sparks. They don't tell Deaton why they needed said books, just that they were doing research, Derek on the other hand was mostly content to just lay around either of them. He mostly likes being around Stiles though, sticking to him and sometimes he distracts Stiles just to have his attention. If Stiles doesn't give him that attention, he whines until both Stiles and Peter want to throttle him.

They're a pack, but because Derek can't talk, he whines a lot and needs someone's attention to be on him a lot. It's frustrating to try to research with a whining Derek Hale in your lap, the sounds are also just sad to hear. They make Derek sound touch deprived, which does make sense. Stiles relies on touch, he hugs Scott, Melissa, and his Dad all the time. Pats people on the back, he's used to being touched all the time, and when he isn't it feels strange to him.

Stiles starts to just listen as Peter reads the book to him, and he'll pay attention to Derek. Combing his fingers through his hair, playing with his fingers, or running his hand up and down his back. Derek preens under the attention and just lays along Stiles' chest contently, in between his legs. He doesn't make any whining noises, he just rumbles content with the attention he's getting.

Peter and Stiles talk about it for hours, even after Derek has fallen asleep on Stiles' chest. They come up with a theory that maybe the True Alpha spark isn't any different from a regular Alpha spark, that it can be given in the same way. Maybe it won't give the person a True Alpha status, but an Alpha title at least.

__________

Stiles' back starts to ache with all the laying down and having a werewolf's weight on him. He quietly slips out from underneath Derek and stretches his back, his back pops and he sighs; content. He makes his way to the kitchen, scent marking Peter on his way past him, where he's fast asleep in the armchair. Stiles thinks he needs to do some online research, it's what he's better at, books are a good source, but there is more information on the internet. He pours himself a cup of coffee and opens his laptop that's sitting on the kitchen table.

He listens to the breathing of his pack mates and gets into the research. He digs through fake articles, fan fiction sites, sites that look like they might lead somewhere, and any article he comes across that seems like it relates to giving Alpha sparks. Most of the websites say the same thing, "the Alpha must be willing to give their spark up."

Stiles would never take Scott's spark without asking anyways, they're still brothers and Stiles wouldn't hurt him like that. Stiles keeps searching, taking sips of his coffee when his eyes want to close, he needs to figure something out.

__________

Peter wakes to the smell of coffee, Derek is sprawled out on the couch, but Stiles isn't there. Peter panics for a minute, wondering what could've happened while he went to sleep, he uses his hearing and finds Stiles' heartbeat easily. Peter cranes his head around and spots Stiles, eyes focused on his laptop. His eyes are running back and forth across the screen, he huffs a frustrated breath, gulps his coffee, then returns to reading. Peter relaxes at the sight, even if he can smell Stiles' exhaustion from where he's sitting.

"Stiles." Peter softly calls, Stiles still flinches in surprise not realizing he's awake. Stiles turns his head to him with a glare, that Peter can tell is a half-hearted gesture.

"You smell exhausted." Peter declares and Stiles waves a dismissive hand at him, going back to his research. Peter's wolf growls, wanting to take care of his pack, to make Stiles sleep. His scent is driving Peter insane.

"So, I found out that the Alpha needs to be willing to give the spark up. Although I'm not sure if that also accounts for True Alphas, so we'll have to look into that more." Stiles explains and Peter sighs.

"Great, we can find more information tomorrow, after you sleep." Peter glares at Stiles and when Stiles looks at him he raises an eyebrow.

"That just wastes time," Stiles replies flatly, Peter flashes his eyes and growls.

"No, it lets you rest and recharge." Peter responds between clenched teeth. Stiles is watching him carefully.

"You're starting to shift Peter." He mutters and Peter can feel his fangs brush against his lip.

"Because your scent is driving my wolf crazy." Peter hisses, eyes flaring. Stiles pulls his shirt up and smells it.

"Do I smell that bad?" Stiles questions, flushing.

"No, you smell like exhaustion and coffee, and you refuse to sleep," Peter growls out, fighting his wolf. "My wolf wants to take care of you, you're pack and you won't let me take care of you. My wolf isn't very happy about that, it's pacing. Wants to be let out and force you to sleep, so get over here and sleep, please." Peter's last sentence comes out as a whine, high-pitched and pitiful.

Stiles sighs, he turns back to his computer and Peter snarls. Stiles jumps and Peter is just as surprised that he made that sound, deep and threatening.

"I'm just shutting down my laptop." Stiles says slowly, watching Peter carefully. Peter nods and then focuses on taking deep breaths, he pulls the wolf back under his skin, telling it that he has everything under control. Somehow that works and his wolf settles, it doesn't growl at him or mutter angrily at him.

Stiles pads over on light feet, he stares at the couch and then turns to Peter. He sighs and then sits on the floor in front of the couch. Peter frowns, Stiles will get cold there.

"We can move to the spare room." Peter says softly, Stiles looks up at him and shrugs. He turns to Derek and nudges him awake.

Derek startles and then looks around as if expecting something to be wrong, Stiles leads Derek to the guest room and then, turns when he doesn't hear Peter behind them. Derek tilts his head and whines at Peter, Stiles stares at him, wondering why he isn't following.

"Come on Peter." Stiles declares it's not a request. He's saying he wants Peter to be there. Peter looks at Derek and sees that Derek wants him to come too, and he breathes a sigh of relief.

He gets up and moves forward quickly, Stiles turns and heads into the bedroom and Derek follows. Stiles gets into the bed under the covers, in the middle of the bed, Derek crawls in on the edge of the bed. Peter crawls in on the side closest to the wall, feeling uneasy, he goes under the covers hesitantly.

As soon as he's in the bed, Stiles curls around him, and Peter stills, not expecting the contact. Stiles' breath is fanning across his neck, his head tucked under Peter's chin, It feels close to submitting to Stiles and that freaks Peter out. Stiles' body is pressed close to him, his arm slung around Peter's waist. Derek curls against Stiles' back, arm around his waist.

With Stiles so close, Peter can smell his shampoo. His original, honey, lemon, and forest smell. Peter calms at the scent, Derek mixes in and Peter goes lax. He doesn't feel trapped, but comfortable.

That night is Peter's first without any nightmares about either Laura or the fire. He is well-rested the next morning and quite happy throughout the day.