1 - Prologue

I can't believe this is really happening! I swore myself never to do something like this and yet, here I am.

"STOP! IT'S USELESS TO RUN FROM US! WE WILL GET YOU ANYWAYS!" the police officer shouts as I am running down the stairs.

How high can a building be? And why did they have to choose the top floor? They probably planned everything! They wanted me to get caught and probably even called the police themselves. Why should they show up otherwise?

I look up again. Two officers are following me. Familiar faces. Another reason not to get caught. I don't even want to think what could possibly happen if they catch me. I try to speed up, jump over stair rails just to be faster than them. I tighten the grip around the bag in my hand. If I lose it...

I can't even think about that! It would be worse than if the officers catch me. I need to get away.

I run past a sign saying I'm already on the third floor. I don't have to go that much further, yet the officers are getting closer. I give everything I have and finally, the first-floor landing.

I jump down the last steps and run out into the small street. It's too small for cars and walkers don't take these side-streets, because it's too dangerous for them.

Which is bad for me, because that means that I can't disappear into the crowd. I run left, hoping that I can make it on a crowded street.

I just have to run for about twenty meters, turn left, run another twenty meters and then take the street on the right side.

As I look back, I can see the officers coming out of the building. They are too far away. Once I am in the next street, they won't be able to get me.

I smile. I made it! They are not going to get me. I turn around.

Only ten meters and I'm gone.

Nine.

Eight.

Seven.

Suddenly a car blocks the way out of the side street. But not just any car.

I can feel my heart fall down. My smile fades and I get slower.

In front of me is a cop car, blocking my way. Two police officers are just leaving the car, both of them smiling now.

No! That can't be true. I... I was about to make it.

I turn around to run from them, but the other two officers from the building are nearly next to me.

My last chance is the fence. I throw the bag over it and take a run-up. My hands grab the top of the fence and I just want to swing my feet across it, as I can feel a hand on my leg.

It's holding me back. One of the cops. He smiles an evil grin and I gulp.

I was so close! Another hand grabs the back of my shirt and throws me to the ground.

My back hits the ground and it feels like all the air gets pressed out of my lungs.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I can see a small silhouette. I immediately know who he is. He takes the bag and I know that he won! He won and I lost!

One of the officers harshly turns me on my stomach. I just let them do it. I don't fight back. That's useless.

They roughly take my hands and hold them onto my back. It feels like my shoulders are getting dislocated. I grit my teeth.

"We've been waiting a long time for this!" One of the cops says and I can hear the anticipation in his voice.

"We are going to have a lot of fun!" another one adds and spits next to my head.

I just remain silent and prepare myself for what's to come.

..........

Hey. Guess who's back. Right, me. The annoying writer that releases a chapter without knowing how to continue the story. You're welcome.

Just as a small note: This chapter is probably going to be the only one written in this perspective. I guess I won't change them all the time as I did before. We'll see how it turns out.