7 - Conversation

Platz:

"Good morning my beloved roommates!" I yell and open the curtains to let the sun in.

"Shut up!" Ben growls and throws his pillow at me. Wayne, on the other hand, sits up and tiredly rubs his eyes.

I laugh: "Come on sleepyhead," and walk up to Ben, taking his blanket, which causes him to growl even more. "It's 9 am, time to get up!"

Finally, Ben sits up too.

"Why exactly are you in such a good mood?" Wayne asks and yawns.

"It's Saturday and we have band practice in about an hour!"

"Can we really call it band practice? I mean, we are an orchestra..." Ben mumbles as he slowly gets out of bed.

I scratch my head. "Good point. I don't know. But band practice sounds way better than orchestra practice, don't you think so?"

"If you say so..."

"How was your evening yesterday? Did something interesting happen?" Wayne asks Ben.

"Huh? Oh, no. It was okay, just a normal Friday night!" Ben replies quickly and I could swear that his cheeks blush a little bit, which makes me curious.

"Really? Nothing interesting? No one got beat up or fell into a river or something?" I probe.

"Yeah, no, what? Uh, nothing happened..."

"Okay, well, get ready guys!" I say, even though I don't believe Ben. Something did happen for sure, but he doesn't want to tell us. Probably something embarrassing for him which we would tease him for.

...

An hour later, we open the door of our little practice room. Emma, our second violin player, is already waiting. 

"Hey, guys!"

"Hey, Emma," we chorus back.

We get ready to play our little project for the Christmas concert. It's a tradition. Every year for Christmas, the students form groups and play a mini-concert for the families. High Schools have their talent shows, we have our Christmas concert.

Since our band isn't complete, we decided to form an orchestra with Emma and we actually sound pretty good. If our dream of being a real band doesn't work out, we'll maybe stick with her and try to make our living that way.

After a few minutes of preparation, we get through everything again. We made some changes last time and need to make sure that everything is working out like that. Then we get into playing through it.

We combined a few songs and made one piece of it. At first, we stop after every song and say if we recognized something that doesn't fit and then try to rewrite it. We change something every time, but eventually, we get to an end and play through it a few days. Then we call it a day.

As we walk into our room, I take a look at my clock.

"Guys, it's 12:30. Do you wanna go to Taco Bell or something?" I ask and the others agree.

We get changed and about thirty minutes later we are sitting at Taco Bell, ordering our food.

"Only one and a half weeks left guys!" Ben states.

"Huh?" I ask while taking the last bite.

"The concert..."

"Oh, yeah. I'm excited!"

"You're so excited that you even forgot when it is?" Ben asks with a smirk.

I just glare at him and then turn to Wayne. "What do you think? Will we get a singer for our band? I mean, I really enjoy our little orchestra, but I prefer the drums..."

"As if we don't know that you love your drums," Ben laughs.

Wayne grins and shakes his head. "I've been looking around and I can't really find anyone. I mean, there are people that are not in a band yet, but, you know, they are not in a band for some reasons. Every good singer already has a band, the rest is just meh, I don't know if anyone will ever meet our requirements."

"He is right. I guess we are already too late. We gotta look elsewhere," Ben agrees.

"Soooo," I start, but Ben immediately cuts me off.

"Can we maybe talk about this after Christmas? You always bring Dan up and then we get into fights. I know that you like him, but I'm not sure about it. Let's just leave it here, okay?"

"Ben is right. Let's concentrate on the concert and then look where we're going!"

"No! What is it that you have with him? Why don't you want him as our singer? He has an amazing voice and is a songwriter! Don't come with he is too young or we don't know anything about him again. You can't get to know someone if you don't even give him a chance!"

"Calm down Platz!" Wayne says.

"It's not like we don't want to give him a chance, he just seems suspicious to me. I don't know why. But you don't have to shout at us because of that!"

"Of course I have to! Because you don't see what's right in front of you! He would be perfect, a perfect voice, a songwriter, what more do you want? I don't want to give up drumming! Especially not when we could get a singer but you don't want him. Drumming is my life! I want to do that forever and I want to do it with you in my band! But if you keep going like this and we don't get a singer because you don't know him, I won't stay with you! That's for sure!"

Ben and Wayne just exchange looks and then stare at me.

"You know what? I'm going! Don't mind following me, I'll search for Dan. You can decide if you give him a chance, that's all I want, don't you understand? If you don't give him a chance, you'll have to search for a new drummer too! I'm not giving up my future just because you're too stubborn to try something new!"