16 - Christmas Eve

Christmas has finally come. Even though I can't be at home like normal, I'm happy. My parents came here to celebrate Christmas with me and I have my best friends around me. The fact that I should study and that my nightmares are still on a high seems irrelevant right now.

I try to get the thoughts of my nightmare out of my head. It feels so real as if something is really trying to hurt me in my sleep. As if something wants to kill me. I have never experienced something like that, but I don't want to ruin everyone's good mood right now.

I'll keep it to myself just until after the holidays. Maybe then I will talk to someone. I sigh. Maybe.

There is a light knock and a few seconds my mother opens the door. They are staying at a friends house. Said friend, is in Australia over the holidays and she said that my parents could live here so we can celebrate Christmas together.

"I know that you have to study, but would you want to go on a walk with us?" My mom asks and I take a quick look on the clock. Realizing it's already 8 pm, I nod.

"Of course. College can't keep me from our traditions. Give me ten minutes."

Mom smiles and closes the door again. To be honest, I've nearly forgotten about that, but on Christmas-Eve we always go for a walk. We just enjoy our company and take a look at the Christmas decoration and stuff.

I try to clean my table from studying. Well, in the last couple of minutes daydreaming and then get dressed. My parents are already waiting at the door and we leave the house.

We can walk for hours, the cold doesn't bother us. Sometimes we just get lost in the beauty of the city that we completely forget the time. But that's okay because at least we're spending time with each other.

On our walk, we see quite a number of homeless people sitting on the street. I can't imagine living like that. Spending the holidays in the cold, alone, without family. No one should be alone or forgotten ever! Everyone deserves to be seen and heard and loved. Especially on Christmas!

By judging the looks of my parents, I can tell that they feel like I do and I'm, once again, reminded of how fragile life is and how lucky I am to have such a loving and caring family. NOt having to worry about money and able to go to College. Christmas is the time of the year that reminds me of that.

We keep on walking somewhere around the town until I have an idea. "Do you want to see a really beautiful place? I've been there several times and it's one of my favorite places in this city!"

Of course, my parents agree and we make our way to the bridge. We arrive there just a few minutes later and my parents are stunned by the view, just like I was the first time I was standing here.

I let them watch in silence and look around the bridge. Not a lot of people are here today and after a quick glance at the time, I know why. It's already 10 pm. We got lost in the beauty of the city.

Yet, I can see one person just a few feet away from us, sitting on the balustrade of the bridge. His feet are hanging above the water and his face is looking at the lights, making this place so beautiful.

The frame, the low lighting, and the guitar right next to him make me recognize the person. Dan. Of course, he is here. Sometimes I have the feeling that he never is elsewhere. Today is a special day though and for once, I didn't expect him to be there.

I walk up to him and as he notices me, I can tell that he didn't think I'd be here too. "Hey," I say and he just nods and giving me half a smile. I can tell that he isn't in a really good mood and I just stand next to him, watching the water.

Suddenly, my parents are standing on my side. They look at Dan and ask: "Hello Dan. What are you doing here?"

He just shrugs his shoulders. "Looking at the lights. The same as you, I guess."

My parents exchange looks and then my mom says: "Well, we're actually wandering around the city. Do you want to join us?"

He looks like he is about to say no, but then our eyes meet and I can see something in his eyes. "Yeah, why not. If I'm not bothering you," he answers and gets of the balustrade, taking his guitar.

"Family never bothers us," I answer and I know that my parents would have said the same. So, now as a group of four, we continue to walk around. Slowly walking into the direction of where my parents are staying for a few days.

It's my mom, who breaks the silence again: "Is no one wondering where you are? I mean, it's pretty late, your family has to be really worried not knowing where you are."

Dan shakes his head: "No one is worried."

I look at my mom and see something in her eyes. Something I've never seen before. "What's with your parents?"

"They're not in town."

Suddenly, my mom stops walking. She grabs Dan at his shoulders and waits until he looks at her. "You are telling me that you are spending Christmas all alone?" She asks in a stern voice and I can tell that Dan gets a bit nervous, maybe even defensive.

"Yes, I am and I'm fine with it, don't worry."

Mom waits a few seconds and is reading his expressions. "No, you're not! No one should be alone at Christmas! You're coming with us!"

With that said, she turns around and starts walking again, taking my father's hand and nearly dragging him with her. I exchange looks with Dan, who really seems like he has no plan what's going on. I gesture him to come along and after a few moments of hesitation, he does so.

"She didn't mean to be commanding. She just doesn't want you to be alone. And now you don't have a choice anymore. Because my mother always gets what she wants!"

Dan smirks and together we enter the house. And it feels damn right to have him at my side!