4 - Late walks

I rapidly wake up and sit straight up in my chair. Another nightmare. I don't know what they are about, I don't know why I have them. I just know that they're getting more and more.

I'm kinda scared, to be honest, and yet I don't want to tell anyone.  I don't want them to think that I get scared because of a few dreams. It's just that I think there is more behind it, I don't know.

I shake all thoughts out of my head and look around. As I look down, I notice that I fell asleep while studying. Again. I sigh and clean my desk a little bit.

It's silent. Too silent for our room. Even at night, it isn't silent because Ben snores like he is from another planet. You get used to it though and for some reason, it's even comforting.

Then I remember. Waynes family is in town and he spends the weekend with them and Ben went out with some friends, probably going to some party.

I look at the clock. 8 pm.

I don't want to study anymore. It's Friday, I don't even know why I started in the first place. But I can't sleep now either. I guess I could go to town. New York is really nice at night and I don't want to stay here all on my own.

I grab all the stuff that I need and walk out of the building. It's November, which means it's slowly getting cold outside.

As I walk towards the center of the town, I pass many homeless people. I couldn't survive here. The cold weather, the unfriendly people, the lack of food. I don't know why some people would live here by choice.

After a while, I can hear a singer. The voice is far away and I can't really listen to it yet, but I can hear the guitar. For some reason, I have to think about Dan again. I don't know why. I walk towards the sounds of the guitar and imagine Dan sitting there, but by the time I get there, I see that it's just a stranger.

I sigh. Why did I even want to see him? I mean, we will probably never cross paths again.

I continue to walk until I get to a bridge. I look at the water and get lost in the amazing view. The lights are reflecting in the dark, nearly black, water and it just looks beautiful. I just stand there and take in what I'm seeing as someone stands right beside me.

"It's a beautiful view, isn't it?" a not too unfamiliar voice says.

I face the person on my right and gasp. It's Dan.

"What? Is it that bad to look at me? Do I smell bad? I swear I showered this morning," he says with a smirk on his face.

I laugh. "No, everything is fine. I just didn't expect to see you here. That's all."

"Yeah, sorry for leaving that early yesterday..." he starts and drifts away as he looks at the water again.

I can tell that he doesn't want to talk about it and quickly change the subject: "So, how come that you found me here?"

"Haha, don't worry, I'm not a stalker or something if you mean that. I like being here. It's just an amazing view if you ask me."

"Yeah, it really is. I've never really recognized, probably because I don't leave the campus very often and when I do, it's not for sightseeing."

"Berkely College of Music?" he asks and faces me.

I nod. "Yeah. Have you ever thought about going there? I mean, you have an amazing voice!"

He blushes a bit. "Thanks, but no. I can't sit still or concentrate for a long period of time, I guess I'm just not made for school."

"Hmm, that's really sad. You have talent, trust me! I'm not just saying this, you sing better than most of the people I know and I know many talented people!"

"You mean like Wayne and Ben?"

"Haha, no. Wayne is probably the best guitarist I've ever seen and Ben is an amazing bassist, but if they start singing... Let's just say I would rather give them money to make them stop singing than to start."

That just makes us both laugh. For some reason, I feel a connection with Dan, even though we don't really know each other.

"So what do you do?" Dan asks.

"I mainly play the drums. But I also play the viola, I'm in a little orchestra with Ben and Wayne and a girl. So we have two violas, a cello and a contrabass..."

"Are you good?"

"Well, let's just say we don't suck," I say and laugh. "No, we are actually not too bad. In a few weeks, we have like a mini-concert, where many groups of the college perform for parents and friends. You can come and watch if you want to."

"Hmm, I will see what I can do. Who knows how the world will look like in a few weeks," he says and once again drifts off.

I take a glance at him from the corner of my eyes. There is something with him, something I can't describe, something mysterious.

He snaps out of his thoughts again. "Well, I guess I should go. It's getting late."

I look at my watch to see that it's already eleven pm. It didn't feel like such a long time...

"Are your parents letting you out for that long?" I ask

"Nah, my parents don't even know. They are not in town." He says with a strange look in his eyes once again.

"Will we see each other again?" I ask unsure.

"Yeah, I hope so. It's nice talking to you." He takes a few steps back. "Bye."

"Bye. It's nice talking to you too!"

.........................

So, I was at the cinema with my family and we were watching Instant Family and it's a great movie. You should check it out because it has a message and it made me think, but don't worry I'm not going to bother you with any details. Anyway, have a nice day. Bye