26 - Birthday

A few months later

Platz:

"How are things going?" I turn around as Dan stuffs the money inside his pockets. Lately, I've been taking my chajòn and joined him on the street. In the beginning, it took me some time to know how he plays which song, but by now we're operating well together. And that way, I can spend more time with Dan. It's actually really fun, just sitting on the streets and playing music.

"Good. I have my own room and the bed is really comfortable and Olivia always makes sure that I have something to eat when I stand up," he takes his guitar and we start walking. I smile at his last sentence, Wayne's mom always makes sure that we have enough to eat, it really sounds like her.

"How is College going? You spend quite some time out here on the street with me..." Dan asks.

"Good, we don't have exams right now, so I have plenty of time. It's just sad that you're not in College too, we'd have so much fun together!"

"For sure," both of us crack a smile by thinking of it.

"By the way, tomorrow is Wayne's birthday party. Are you going to join us?" I ask with a pleading look.

He shrugs his shoulders: "I don't know. To be honest, I've never been to a birthday party before, soo..."

I try to hide my shock, put one arm around his shoulder and answer: "Well, I guess it's about time for you to go to one then."

"Where and when would the party be and what is happening at a birthday party?" He replies shyly. I feel like I'm talking to a little kid that just got invited to his first birthday party and not a thirteen-year-old teenager. And the fact that he's never been at a birthday party means that he never even had a party for his own birthday and now that I think of that, I realize that I don't even know when his birthday is. I guess I should ask him...

Dan's waving hand in front of my face brings me back to reality. "Huh? What?" I ask and make him grin.

"I asked who is coming to the party," Dan explains.

"Uhm, Ben, I and a few relatives of Wayne, uncles, and aunts I think." The relatives seem to discourage him so I add: "Please come, it would be great and I think Wayne would really enjoy it. Let's meet at our bridge at let's say 11 am. You have plenty of time to wander around the city in the morning and you won't have to face his relatives because I think they're already coming in the morning."

"So the party lasts the whole day?"

"No, his grandma will walk around with Wayne and distract him and then we'll surprise him when he comes back. So? You're in? Please?"

He sighs. "Yeah, okay, what could possibly go wrong?"

...

I lean back in my hair and half listen to what is going on in front of me.

Ben, Dan and I met as planned and surprised Wayne at his house as he came back. With us are his uncle and aunt, his parents and his grandparents. Wayne's face was so great to look at when he first saw us. Everything has been going great so far. We sang Happy Birthday, ate cake and just talked and had fun, except for one mood killer. Wayne's uncle.

He asked us so many questions, mostly about Dan, where we all met, how old we are, about our families. From the first second on, he targeted Dan, who obviously had distrust and discomfort written all over his face. He hardly told us anything about himself, he for sure won't tell Wayne's uncle anything! But he keeps asking questions and saying stupid stuff. I've been trying to ignore him, but what he is saying now completely shocks me.

"Wayne? Tell me, you've got a nice house and a family. You're going to college and made friends there. No one ever stopped you from doing what you want. But why are you hanging around with a younger kid like him? You met each other on the street and just became friends?"

I try to jump in and say something because he is crossing a line there, but Wayne's uncle just keeps going: "Did he tell you more about himself? What if he is trying to get your trust and then just uses you? What if he is just one of those little stupid brats living on the streets? You were raised in a good house! You better not hang around with people like him! He won't get far in his life! He is just a useless stupid little kid, he'll probably steal something from your house. Olivia, Michael, what do you have to say about it? Is he really living in your house? Did you check if he already stole something? I bet he could use that money? I mean, what makes you even think about helping him? have you completely lost your mind?"

..............................

I don't know if a chajòn has the same name in English, but I guess so. For all of you who don't know what that is, here is a pic: