15 - Going out

"Your show was amazing! I'm so glad we were able to see it!" My mom shouts as soon as she spots me. I exchange looks with Ben and Wayne and they both just shake their head, smiling.

"Thanks, mom," I reply as she suddenly takes me in her arms and hugs me really tight. For a second, I don't know what to do when she already let's go again.

By now my dad, Wayne's parents, and Dan arrived here too. I catch Dan's glance at our hug for a second and I'm not quite sure how to read his expression. Jealousy? Delight? A mixture of both? I don't get to think about it too long because Dan noticed my look and smiles at me.

"That was great!" He says. For some reason, his compliment means more than that of my mom. It feels like getting noticed by someone famous or something, I don't know.

"It would have been even better if we had vocals!" Ben replies and sends Dan a grin.

"I don't think so," Dan and Wayne answer simultaneously. They look at each other, surprised, then all of us start laughing.

"And in celebration of this successful performance, we decided to invite you all to dinner," Olivia states and looks at us proudly. I smile, it's not like we've eaten about three hours ago, but hey, never turn down a good offer. I guess that's what Ben and Wayne are thinking too, judging their faces.

"Do you want to join us?" My dad asks Dan as we're about to start walking.

"What kind of question is this?" Olivia answers instead of Dan. "Of course he is coming! He is part of the family now!"

I can tell that Dan is unsure what to say, so I just lay my arm around his shoulder and say: "She is totally right. You can say what you want, there is no way you're not coming with us!" We walk ahead of the group because I want to have as much privacy with Dan as possible.

"They can be overwhelming sometimes, I know. But that's just how parents are, I hope they're not annoying you or make you feel uncomfortable. If they do, just tell me." I whisper and make sure that Dan is the only one who can hear me.

He nods. "Don't worry, I'm fine. I just wish that I had such loving parents like you."

Just a second later, I can tell that he wants to take the words back and I'm wondering what he means by that. Are his parents treating him wrong? Is that why he has such injuries? I don't ask him though, I don't want to put too much pressure on him.

Instead, I answer: "Yeah, we got lucky. And if you ever need something, just remember that we are here. Ben, Wayne, I and our parents. As Olivia said: You're now part of our big family!" I give him a soft side hug and then we walk in silence for a couple of minutes.

Just as we're about to walk into some restaurant, a voice to our left shouts: "Dan!"

Our whole little group turns around to see who's shouting. At first, I didn't know who it was because there are still a few people out on the streets doing Christmas shopping and stuff. But then I can see a woman running towards us, waving to get our, or rather Dan's attention.

At first, I think, it's maybe his mother or something, but as she gets closer, I notice the really short skirt, the low neckline and tons of make-up. And as soon as I understand that she is a prostitute, the chances of her being his mother shrink immediately.

She stops a few feet away for us, probably unsure because of our large group. I can see everyone looking back an forth between her and Dan, as he says: "Would you mind going ahead? I'll come in just a few minutes?!"

I nod and gesture everyone to go inside, they hesitate for a split second and then do so. "You will come in, won't you?" I try to make sure.

"Yeah, probably. Just give me a few minutes," he answers and jogs to the still waiting woman.

I turn around and join my family inside the restaurant, not leaving Dan out of my eyes. They're just talking, but I assume it's nothing good. The gestures make it look like she is doing her best to explain something to Dan.

Just a few minutes later, she bows down and hugs him. She says a few last words and he nods. Then she turns around and goes. Dan watches her until she turns around the corner, then he turns around too.

All faces of our table look at the menu again, not willing to let him know that we were all watching him. But out of the corner of my eyes, I can see him wipe away a tear. He opens the door and sits down again.

"Are you okay?" I ask him.

He nods, without looking at me.

"Who was that?" Ben asks just a second later.

"A friend of my mom," Dan answers and I have a feeling that he isn't telling us the truth.

He looks up and my mom is about to say something as he says: "You know that I could see you all staring at me because of the reflection in the window of the store on the other side of the street right?"

Literally, all of our faces blush and make him smirk. My dad quickly changes the subject so no one has to admit it.

Impressed, I take a glance at Dan. Again he was able to somehow change the subject, without anyone noticing, so he doesn't have to answer any question he doesn't want to answer.