2 - The unknown

"So what exactly do you want to show us?" I ask Wayne as he leads the way down the street.

"I've seen this musician, playing on the streets last week and I really wanted to show you," my roommate answers without even looking back.

I exchange confused looks with Ben, who only shrugs his shoulders.

"And what's so special about him?" I ask again.

This time Wayne stops and turns around. "He plays the guitar and sings, I thought maybe we could watch him and if he is the right person...I don't know okay? I just really enjoyed listening to him..."

"Alright, alright. I won't ask any questions anymore." I say.

Wayne looks kinda relieved.

"But I will," Ben says and makes Wayne sigh.

"What?"

"From what you have been saying, it sounds like you want him as our lead singer..."

I can see a guilty look on Waynes face.

"We've been in a band for what now? A semester? And you are searching for a singer?" I follow up.

"And you are kinda saying that he is better than all the people going to college with us. Berkely College of Music. You really wanna say that he is better than him? And why isn't he in college if he sings that good?"

"I'm not saying anything. Just stop asking questions for once and follow me okay?" Wayne says with a slightly annoyed voice.

We walk down the street for another five minutes or something until I hear a guitar. I don't think I've ever heard the song, but it does sound really great.

Before we are able to see the singer he starts singing:

I wake up every morning with a new resolve
Two hands and one heart, let the world revolve
One eye to the ocean and one to the sky
One life of devotion and where am I?
One heart to love within my chest
One life to live

I look at Ben. That sounds really good. Still, I've never heard the song.

We get closer and closer and I try to catch every phrase he sings.

I keep skipping stones, hoping for a change
But things just stay the same
I keep walking roads, looking for a home
That I can call my own
Skipping stones
I'm skipping stones
I'm skipping stones
I'm skipping stones

This sounds really great. Now I get why Wayne wanted to show us this guy, which we still haven't seen because there are a lot of people walking by him and even standing there and listening, which is really unusual for a city like New York. Normally people are always in a rush.

One chance to reach out and find a place for me
One chance to find love for all humanity
One eye to the mountain and one to the sands
One dime for the fountain and one for my hand
One heart to love within my chest

I'm so curious what he looks like. The song is amazing and if he wrote it all by himself, hell I don't care if he didn't, his voice is amazing. I would actually like him as our lead singer.

Finally, we get close enough to look at him and I can't believe what I'm seeing.

It's a teenager, not older than sixteen maybe. A skinny, tall boy with blond curly hair and threadbare clothes. Well, that changes a lot!

I tap Wayne and Ben on the shoulders and we step away a few feet, his singing still audible in the background.

"That's him?" I ask Wayne.

He nods. "He sounds great, right?"

"He is a kid!" Ben states.

"You don't know how old he is! And he sings really good!" Wayne defends himself.

"So you really want him to be our singer?" I ask and Waynes blushing cheeks are enough as answer.

  "I don't know. I mean, he looks like he is in some kind of trouble, looking at him..." Ben says.

"Huh? What do you mean?" I ask and try to catch another look, but people are blocking my sight.

"That's typical for you Platz. Caught up in the beauty of music and not seeing the reality." Ben laughs.

I look at Wayne, trying to get answers from him.

He scratches his neck and says:  "Maybe his clothes aren't the newest and maybe he has a black eye, but you should never judge people right away!"

"We could talk to him and see how his character is. I mean, we don't have to ask him if he wants to join our band. Just chatter a little bit?" I suggest, trying to hide the fact that I didn't see the bruise.

Ben sighs. "Okay. If both of you are so into him..."

"Don't make it sound like we are in love or something!" Wayne says and crosses his arms.

"Well, then let's go!" I say and start walking.

"You want to talk to him right now?" Ben asks.

"Yeah, of course. Who knows if we ever see him again and he just finished his song. I would say now is the best time!"

Ben just nods. The three of us walk up to him. It looks like the kid either wants to take a break or stop singing for today. The crowd already disappeared and no one takes note of him, or us.

He just took the money out of the cup, standing there, and started counting it as I stop in front of him.

"Hi!"

....................

You don't know how much time it took me to write this chapter. I started at least five times and wasn't even near being happy with it. And I changed the caption, just as little side note. ;)