22 - Problem

Wayne:

Another week passes by and I slowly start to doubt that we will see Dan again. I try to talk to Platz but he won't listen.

"He will come back sooner or later," and "Trust me, we'll see him again," are the most common answers. He gets out every day and searches the city, always looking at "their bridge" as he calls it.

Ben shares my opinion and tries to get Platz off the street again, but he won't listen. We tried to accompany him in turns, but the amount of time Platz spends on the streets is just way too much. He isn't sleeping very well and I can tell that he has nightmares, but he denies it all the time, he hardly does anything for College and doesn't even play the drums anymore.

Frustrated, I throw my pen on my desk where I've tried to study, but my thoughts always drift off. Today is Bens turn to walk around with Platz, we don't want him to get mugged or something, who knows how that ends when he is all alone. But the two of us are already exhausted too and we don't know how to get out of that situation.

The thing is, that we have a break from College and my parents wanted that I visit them again, which means that I'm on the other end of Boston, trying to study which doesn't work because I'm constantly worrying about my best friend.

I've even talked to my father about it. Normally, I keep such stuff for myself but it got on top of me and I really wanted to hear his opinion, he is a psychiatrist after all. But he only said to keep an eye on him, he isn't really able to help me either and he told me to inform him if it gets worse because then he has to do something about it. But in the meantime, as long as he is not hurting himself (what he is if you ask me), he wants to stay back.

And I really respect that, I mean, Platz wouldn't be too amused about hearing that I've been talking about him behind his back, but...

I get snapped out of my thoughts due to my phone ringing. I sigh and look at it, seeing that Ben is calling me. Within seconds I imagine everything bad that could've happened to them and pick up with a quick: "What's up?"

"We're having a problem over here. Could you maybe pick us up?" Bens voice sounds breathless and I jump out of my chair, already running towards the stairs.

"What happened?" I ask while I storm into my living room, where my dad is sitting on the couch. He immediately notices my worried glance and sits up. With trembling hands, I put Ben on the speaker to let my dad listen.

"I-I don't really know. We're in this side street and suddenly these guys jump out on us and then there is Dan and I think he is hurt and Platz passed out and I'm trying to keep everything together, but I can't and I really need your help!" Ben talks so fast it's hard to understand.

My dad answers: "Okay, Ben, stay right where you are and send Wayne your location. We're on our way." With that said, he grabs his keys and jacket and gestures me to follow him.

...

"So? What happened?" I break the silence as all of us sit in the car again.

We arrived about twenty minutes after the phone call and pretty much everything we did was to get the three in the car and drive off again. Ben and Platz are kinda in shock, I guess, and Dan looks like he's hurt his shoulder, but except for Ben, no one has sad a single word.

"Let's calm down a little bit and talk about it when we're home okay?" my dad answers and takes a long look at Dan, before adding: "Or maybe we drive to the ER and let his shoulder get checked."

But Dan forcefully shakes his head and says: "No! It's nothing! Really!"

Dad turns around, sighs and replies: "I'll have a look at it. Just all of you calm down okay? You'll have a lot to explain. Especially you." He looks at Dan, who flinches a bit and stares out of the window.

"We'll sort everything out!" I add and shoot my dad the "what was that for?" look. He just half smiles at me and whispers: "I know what I'm doing. Trust me. He has to step out of his comfort zone. Otherwise, you'll never find out a single thing about this kid. I have a plan."