12 -Friends

Dan's voice calms me down and eventually, the tears stop from coming out of my eyes. I wipe the last ones away and watch Dan playing the guitar. The song fits really good and it was a great idea of him to start playing.

As he notices my stare, he comes to an end and puts the guitar away again. Then he puts his arm around my shoulder again and looks at me.

"Promise me to never do that again okay? Never ever take your life!"

"Okay. I'll try my best!" I say and try to give him a thankful smile.

"That's all I wanna hear! But Bens injury isn't the only reason, is it?"

"What makes you think that?"

He shrugs his shoulders. "It's just a feeling that I have. You don't seem like someone who just ends his life because of one bad thing that happens."

I stare at him for another second and then look at my hands. I didn't even think about it, but now that he said it, he probably is right. The nightmare, the stress we have right now in college, Ben, everything played together.

I look at Dan again, he gives me a sad but motivating smile as if he could read my mind. My respect for him grows with every second. He is a person that can read people just like books.

"Don't worry, you don't have to tell me. But I'm here if you need someone to listen," he interrupts my thoughts.

"Thank you," is all I can say.

Suddenly my phone starts ringing. I immediately fish it out of my pocket and see that Wayne is calling. "Hey," I answer the phone breathlessly.

"Hey, are you okay? You sound kinda off," Wayne answers worriedly. I roll my eyes, another person who reads people like books.

"Yeah, I'm fine, why are you calling?" I reply and Dan gives me a "You're fine? I know better!" face. I playfully hit him at the arm and he starts grinning.

"Ben just woke up and he said he wants to see you, his father wasn't too amused as you can imagine, but he insists that you come here, he told me while his father left the room for a second."

"I don't know if that's a good idea, I mean..." I start off, but Dan rips the phone out of my hand.

"Of course he is coming, he can't wait to talk to Ben again!" He tells Wayne and I give him a fake annoyed face, I take my phone again and put Wayne on speaker so we can both listen.

"Uhm, Dan?"

"Yup. Hey."

"Hey. Wait a second!" Wayne says and I can hear him talk to Ben in the background. A second later he is back and says: "Now Ben insists on seeing you too!" I can imagine the smile they're both having on their faces right now.

"Okay, we'll be there in a few minutes. Bye." I say and hang up then I look at Dan, who seems a bit unsure now.

"You don't have a choice now! I want you to come with me and Ben insists on seeing you too, you can't say no anymore!"

"Yeah, yeah. Let's get walking before you decide on doing something stupid again," he teases me.

"Oh shut up before I decide to do something stupid to you!" We both start laughing and make our way to the hospital, teasing ourselves during the whole walk.

...

"I told you to leave Ben alone! It's your fault he is here!" Ben's dad says as soon as we enter the room.

Ben seems like he is going to say something to protect me as Dan steps in.

"Stop saying that! It's the fault of the guys that robbed them, not Platzs!"

"They shouldn't have gone out at that time, which was indeed his idea!"

Dan clenches his fist and walks up to Ben's father until they're just two feet away. "Listen!" He says in a calm voice. "He couldn't have known that they would get robbed, which can happen anytime, not just at night! Stop saying it was his fault because it clearly wasn't, you're only making him feel miserable! Shit happens, that's how life goes, but you can't blame someone for not knowing something. Ben is alive, he will make it, now put an end to it and leave it! You aren't making things better!"

Ben's father looks dumbfounded for a second and then says: "And who do you think you are that you can talk to me like this? I mean, how old are you? Thirteen?"

I'm about to say something, worrying that the situation is going to escalate, but Dan's facial expressions soften a bit and he says in a calm way: "I'm their friend. And I can talk like that to everyone who makes my friends feel bad. That has nothing to do with age. You're in the middle of this situation, I'm not. I'm seeing the big picture! You maybe start thinking before you say stuff like that because you made him feel like crap even though he couldn't have changed the situation!"

Ben's dad snorts then he looks at Ben and says: "Your mom and I will be in the cafeteria, seems like you want to talk to your friends for a bit, we'll be back later."

Ben just nods and they leave the room. Then a nurse walks in and checks on Ben. He asks her: "Is there any way I could possibly leave this room?"

She looks at him with a strict face and answers: "Only in a wheelchair and you're not allowed to leave this floor today!"

"Alright thanks," Ben says and smiles. "Can we walk a bit, guys? I'm already tired of this room..."

...........................

Sorry for the late update, but I just came home from Training. Oh, and yesterday I watched Captain Marvel and it was so GREAT!