6 - Drunk

Ben:

"Ben your friends are here. What is taking you so long? Did you fall asleep on the toilet?" Platz shouts and knocks on the door.

I flush the toilet and start washing my hands. "How about you shut up yourself?" I say as I open the bathroom door and smirk at him.

"Just go, go so I can have my well-earned freedom of you and your stupid ideas!" He shoots back and makes us both smile.

"Don't party too hard! I don't want a call in the middle of that asking me if I could bail you out of jail or get you out of the hospital!" he continues.

"I've only been in the hospital once! And I've never been in jail before!" I try to defend myself while grabbing my jacket."

"Time will tell."

I open the door and shoot him a last smile along with the words: "Don't be too sad while I'm gone. I'm gonna come back, trust me. You don't have to be scared."

Before Platz can even answer, I close the door in front of his nose and greet my friends. It's been some time since we last did something together and we decided to have a drink and maybe go to some club. We'll see where we will end up.

...

"How 'bout we go to the club down the streets?" Jamie slurs and tries to walk a straight line.

The others agree and start their way down there. They are all really drunk, but this time, I'm not. The old days were better. I guess the four of us grew apart. All they can think of is sex, drugs, and drinking as much as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I like partying and getting drunk, but they are carrying things too far. I like being able to spell my own name or walk ten meters without falling once. Maybe I'm getting old, but today isn't as fun as I thought it would be. They are justing starting fights and getting thrown out of clubs because they're too drunk.

"Hey, you!" Alex shouts and catches my attention once again. Hopefully, he didn't see a girl and tries to approach her or worse. I really gotta look out for these guys and get them home again!

As I look up, I can see the person he shouted at. The three of them are getting closer as the person just stands there. I sigh. Why doesn't he walk away? His frame looks like he is still a boy or a teenager, he has no chance if Jamie, Alex, and Mike want to start a fight. What is he doing here anyway? It's already midnight, shouldn't kids his age be home?

I try to get closer and see what's going on there. The guys have already surrounded the kid, whose face I still can't see because he is having a hood on.

Jamie pushes him and tries to provoke him: "Hey, don't you have to be at home with your mommy?"

"Shouldn't little boys like you be in their beds at such a time?" Mike continues.

I try to get closer before they are doing something really stupid as the kid replies: "I didn't know that babies are allowed to drink alcohol nowadays. How many drinks did you have? Two? Seems like too much for you guys"

I immediately stop. It's not just some random boy, it's Dan. What the hell is he doing here? Is it just coincidence that we meet him? However, I don't care what he is doing here, he is quick on the comeback!

For some reason, I want to see how this situation is going to end. Of course, if the guys get violent, I would step in immediately, because three on one isn't fair, but I am really curious how this is going to evolve.

As soon as this thought crossed my mind, Jamie hauls off.

I just want to start running towards the group as Dan easily catches Jamie's hand, grabs it and gives his arm a twist until he is holding it behind Jamie's back.

For a second, no one does anything, except for Jamie who is letting out a soft whimper.

Then Mike hauls off, but Dan was prepared, he avoids the fist by using Jamie as his human shield. Mikes fist collides with Jamie's jaw and he falls down. Now, Mike is distracted, holding his probably hurting hand and Dan just easily pushes him against Alex, who was preparing himself to punch Dan too. Both of them fall to the ground.

Dan just stares at them for a second, then looks up and sees me. He gets closer and says: "Hey, Ben right?"

I just nod, still trying to process what I've just seen.

"You should watch out for your friends! Imagine them running into some drug dealer who just pulls out a knife or something. That's dangerous. Anyways, I hope we're still good, I didn't mean to hurt your friends. I just don't like it when someone talks to me like that and tries to beat me up just because I'm the smaller one!"

I nod. "Yeah, I don't know what's gotten into them, to be honest."

"Well, I gotta go now. Bye."

"Bye."

I stand there and watch him until he turns around the corner. Then I walk up to the guys and help them up. It's time to go home! But it's also time to find out more about this kid!