5 - Why not?

"Platz, don't you think that you're getting a little bit attached to this boy?" Ben asks.

I sigh.

Ben, Wayne and I are sitting in our room and we are, once again, thinking about our band and how we should go on. Our previous singer, Chris, quit the band because he didn't feel like singing anymore and now we are searching again. Which is why I came up with the idea of asking someone who is not in College with us. Of course, they immediately knew who I was talking about.

"First of, his name is Dan. Please don't call him boy, okay?" Ben just rolls his eyes on the comment.

"Secondly, I'm not attached to him!"

"Then why the hell do you keep talking about him? He isn't in college, you've only heard him sing one song and you don't even really know him! And he is what? Thirteen? Fourteen?" Ben replies.

I scratch my neck. I don't want to get into a fight with Ben because of that. "I just think that there is something special about him. What is the problem if he is younger than us? As long as he can sing. The voice matters, not the age! And we only heard Chris sing once too. And we hardly knew anything about him too. Still, he became the singer of our band. So maybe I should ask you, why you don't want Dan in our band?!"

Ben is about to snap at me as Wayne stops him.

"What Ben is trying to say, is that we have absolutely no information about him. We don't know anything about his background or if he is in any kind of trouble or something. Chris, on the other hand, was in college, which means that he has the required qualifications to be in a band and try to make a living out of it! It's just that many things are coming together, You know that."

I take a deep breath to calm down a little bit. "Yeah, I understand that. But he deserves a chance. And why do you care about his background? You didn't care about mine when you met me!"

"I don't know, okay? I don't know why I want more information about him or why I can't get comfortable with the idea of playing in a band with him. I just... I don't know. Maybe it's the black eye or the way he left back when he met him. I guess I just don't trust him. You know, I don't just trust every stranger I meet in the streets..."

"Can't we just give it a try? I mean, what can happen?"

Wayne clears his throat. "The worst thing that could happen would probably be that he is in some sort of gang, who are all aggressive and then they feel like we are a threat because we want some member of their gang to leave and then they torture us before they kill us and throw our dead bodies somewhere where no one can find them and no one will ever know what happened and why we disappeared."

"Wow!" The only word that leaves my mouth.

"Are you okay?" Ben asks.

"Hey, you asked about a worst case scenario and I gave you one," Wayne tries to defend himself.

"Oookayyy. Since we are going nowhere good." Ben says, "We could just go to sleep, think about it and maybe look for someone else, maybe inside this campus?"

"Okay. But if you ask me, this guy has a talent, you have to admit that and I don't know anyone in here, that sings as good as he does. At least no one that would be in a band with us."

Ben just stares at me.

"What?" I ask confused.

"I'm not allowed to call him boy, but you are allowed to call him guy?"

"Just go to sleep Ben!"

After just a few minutes, I'm asleep and the nightmare comes back. It's the third week since it started and it's getting worse with every time. The darkness leaping over me, slowly, but steady. Getting closer and closer until I'm completely surrounded by it. It feels like hands, touching me everywhere, it's getting harder to breathe. My mind just gets blank and I don't know what to do.

Still, I haven't talked to anyone about it. But today something is different. Today, there is light, something that gives me power, something helping me fight through the darkness...

..............................

Writers' block loves me...