¤ R's Book Review Corner

Hi guys, how're you all doing? Welcome to another edition of R's Book Review Corner

In her corner this month is a Multi-time Award Winner, Featured Writer, and Watty Shortlisted 2018 Writer.

Don't just take my word for it though. Sit back, sip some wine, coffee, tea or beer and relax!

******

Book Title: The Rose Killer

Author: by Sarah_MacLean 

Genre: Fantasy, Action

Status: Completed

Story Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/146910133-the-rose-killer-%E2%9C%94%EF%B8%8F

com/story/146910133-the-rose-killer-%E2%9C%94%EF%B8%8F

Elyra lands in the port city of Lazuli City. She's a stranger in a new country on the run from the powerful organization that she used to serve that now wants her dead. Unmoored from family, friends, and calling, she struggles not only to make a new life for herself but to forge a new identity and sense of meaning for her life.

After taking on thug work for a powerful crime family, she begins moonlighting as a vigilante. Dealing out street justice in parts of the city for which the regular law has little time gives her new purpose. The thug work pays her bills and her vigilante work feeds her soul's desire for justice. Her new little life and adopted family in the rougher side of Lazuli City comes crashing down when her morals and the demands of a crime family come into opposition. That disaster is chased by the catastrophe of getting on the wrong side of a local shadowy organization. Soon she'll be working for the very people who were trying to kill her. It's a better life than the ghettos of Lazuli City. It's a job that's more aligned with her conscience, but the organization is an uneasy fit, and many of the members hold long grudges.

One of the things that make Elyra sparkle as a character and lifts her far above the usual trope is her complexity. Yes, she's flawed and tough and really good at killing people. She's also deeply caring, even when it's not in her best interest. She never loses her moral center, even when she's indulging it in as a vigilante serial killer.

As a Fantasy Action novel, the crisp and visceral action scenes take center stage. Behind the action is just enough backstory to make Elyra have real, understandable psychology and carefully revealed world-building that supports the plot without overwhelming us with unnecessary details. It's a story packed not only with the bad guys getting what's coming to them, but also hope, loss, betrayal, and purpose woven into a stunning narrative. Every secondary character feels real enough to have their own spin-off novel. Though the world of the novel isn't particularly large (we don't get far from Lazuli City and its goings-on), it feels like the sort of story world that could go on forever. And we want it to! Thankfully, there's already another book in the series (The Crimson Wolf) in progress now.

Well, that's it for this months edition, join us again next month for more hidden treasures!

______________________________

Feature by: Theresa[tlryder]||2019®
Editor: Latty
Reference: Wattpad User's Profile.
Pictures provided by: Pinterest, Wattpad User's Profile and Psy Graphics.