*Crimson-n-Clover

MM fans give a very warm welcome to the very helpful Crimson, the first place Poetry winner in the 2019 Winter Rose Award: Summer Edition.

We caught up with this aspiring poet and it went down like this. 

*****

Hi Crimson, let's get started, shall we!

Crimson, what's the story behind your username?

My family is Irish-American. My avatar is a crimson- striped clover, and my username comes from the Joan Jett's version of the song "Crimson and Clover". 

Your judge loved your poetry entry, which scored you a 74/80. Do you consider yourself a poet, and is it something you truly enjoy?

That's a three-part question for me. First, it was an honor to be in a contest that had a qualified poetry judge, rare here on Wattpad. Thank you for that. His review was detailed and articulate. He lets you know what poems he liked, including lines. That was a gift. He gave suggestions if you didn't make the top three. He included links.

I also appreciated he spoke to all the poetry contestants verses just the winners. It included strengths and weaknesses found among the submissions. One could learn much about the Craft reading the reviews.  It was one of the best experiences for me thus far on Wattpad since March.

Regarding the second part of your question. When I was growing up, I looked at myself as a poetry enthusiast - later as a hobbyist novice/student. Looking back I'd say at this point, I was more of an apprentice as I was studying poetry by the 'Greats' and writing my own. Now, yes I consider myself a poet. I would've thought that arrogant to say such a thing when I was younger or that there were no longer 'Poets' today as they were centuries ago.

It was obvious poetry was considered something special, something one had to learn, not just enjoy reading. Poetry the music, the poet was someone who heard the Muse of music, learned the craft, wrote the lyrics. When I was younger, my thought that us modern poetry enthusiasts were fans and guardians. Now, I believe, those willing to study the craft can become... yes, poets. Poets of a different age, maybe even practicing different forms of poetry, writing on different topics but that we are poets of our age if willing to study and work at it like the poets that came before us. Poetry isn't so much creating books of verse it is the framework you see the world, it's how you see the world. If you look among the heavy-hitters of verse you see this in their lives and writing. One sees this same pattern in today's professional poets and writers, whether they are published or not.